Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stutters during acceleration at low RPMs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2009, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stutters during acceleration at low RPMs

Hey guys, I have a new problem on my GT. It's got about 54K miles, but recently the car starts to stutter when I shift into 2nd or 3rd gear at low RPMs like around 1-2K while accelerating....

basically, I would shift into 2nd or 3rd, release the clutch, the car would sometimes stutter while accelerating.

My first thought was clutch slipping. I called the dealer to get an estimate... you won't believe this $1,200! yikes. do you guys have similar issues? could it be sparks/wires? There's no fault code registered either. Could it be the something else like transmission (was replaced at 35k-40K)? I read somewhere on the net that it might be mass air flow sensor?
Old 09 Jun 2009, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stutters during acceleration at low RPMs

Last tune-up, including plugs and wires ?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jun 2009, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I put new plugs in 31259 but not wires. I know I'll have to replace wires around 60k, but seems too early?
Old 09 Jun 2009, 08:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NO, not for the PT. The stock wires are crap and should have been replaced long ago. It's a real good chance that if you change the wires to anything but Chrysler wires then your problem will be solved.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jun 2009, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I will try that tomorrow along w/ new plugs (no platinum as I recall). But shouldn't there be misfire code registered?
Old 09 Jun 2009, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Possibly, but there's been others with bad idle, poor acceleration, breaking up while accelerating and other symptoms without a code. Yes, use copper plugs and the gap is pretty low if I remember correctly for the Turbo, somewhere in the 30's.

Let us know if it works pls.

Old 09 Jun 2009, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. Last time I gapped the plugs at 0.052mm. I'll check the service manual again tomorrow to make sure I have the right gap. I will let you know either way but I'm hoping this will fix it.
Old 09 Jun 2009, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a quick search and the consensus is a gap between .038 - .040 for the Turbo.

Old 09 Jun 2009, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I'll make sure to gap it @ 0.038.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, the car runs alot better now. I replace the plugs (copper) and new bosch platinum wires today. Although I only drove around the neighborhood, the stuttering doesn't seem to exist anymore.

I did notice that one of the ignition pin were kind of 'green' like water go into the pin and boot. I sanded and cleaned the pin and put the new wires on. Hopefully that'll do for now. You're right, the stock wires suck.

Thanks for your help. I'll post again if the problem comes back tomorrow when I drive to/from work.