Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas milage again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2009, 09:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Gas milage again

Last week I was loading some 8 foot 2x4s into my Cruiser. I stopped to talk to a guy with a nice looking Ford Edge. He said he really liked the car, said it was a great car. I asked him about gas milage and he said he gets about 14 around town and 20 on the freeway (and was happy about it). Give Me A Break. I can do much better than that with out even lifting off the gas. And the Ford Edge is a bit bigger than my Cruiser but not much and I don't think he could have put 8 footers in it easy.

And what is all this BS from Chrysler about "Building a new Company"? They don't have anything new that gets good milage and sure won't have any for a long time. The PT was the best milage car they had and they dumped it. Beam Me Up Scotty
Old 12 Jun 2009, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas milage again

I was listening to a commercial just yesterday and one of the other companies fuel efficient cars and they were bragging about 23 mpg Highway. What, the darn thing probably gets about 15-17 in the town/city. That's fuel efficient?

As far as Chrysler goes, I think they are talking about when Fiat comes aboard. That's all Fiat does is make small fuel efficient cars (although they get some of their numbers with European gallons (5 qts vs our 4).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 10:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Marketing is everything...
When gas went to $3+, it was all about how much it cost to fill up; so the tank size was reduced - not that it mattered your range was decreased.

I've never bought a car for it's mpg's. I have a Miata that'll get 33 on the road and 24 to 27 around town, depending on how much fun I'm having driving it. I really didn't buy the Cruiser for its mpg's either, but a little disappointing in what it gets vs. advertised. My son's Saturn SL2 gets 25 around town and has seen 40 on the road, the wifes van (Pontiac Montana) sees 29+/- on the road and can haul a lot.

I've read and heard about invention's of engine's or other, that create more HP and a lot more mpgs'. Bill Lear (the Lear Jet) had a chapter in his book that talked about the V2 horizontal engine that created 150hp and got 75 mpg - so what happened to that??? I have an uncle that retired from GM many years ago, he says to this day, there are engines that will get 50+; but sequestered by the oil companies.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 10:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by white View Post
The PT was the best milage car they had and they dumped it.
I find that hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner49 View Post
I really didn't buy the Cruiser for its mpg's either, but a little disappointing in what it gets vs. advertised.
Same here... bought mine 3 months ago at 45k and just hit 49k.

I get around 19-20 mpg city and on a trip to Atlanta a few weeks ago I was getting 23-24 mpg on the interstate.

Not quite what was advertised.

I've been doing piece of mind maintenance on this car since I bought it since I don't have any prior owner maintenance records. Thinking about changing the plugs and wires... I see "Mopar" stamped on my current plug wires so I'm guessing they are the original although I could be wrong. The engine is super clean and was well taken care of.

At any rate, love the car but it's about as aerodynamic as a brick.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

[QUOTE=CREWZIN;262191]

As far as Chrysler goes, I think they are talking about when Fiat comes aboard. That's all Fiat does is make small fuel efficient cars

That means when Fiat starts making their smaller more fuell efficient cars I'll have to get 2, one for each of my feet since I'm such a little guy. I'm 6'4" and go about 270 lbs. Sorry, no fiat for me. LOL
Old 12 Jun 2009, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your probably already left out of the market for the new Smart cars from Mercedes Benz.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You're right about that. After seeing some of the crash tests on those things I can't even imagine why anyone would even consider one of those things. Talk about being the first on the scene of an accident. Sheesh. What is smart about those things. They stopped building the Corvair because Nader said it was unsafe. Funny he hasn't said anything about these things yet. Where does the search for fuel mileage and safety split and go their seperate ways? Smart Car? I don't think so.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 03:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH08 View Post
You're right about that. After seeing some of the crash tests on those things I can't even imagine why anyone would even consider one of those things. Talk about being the first on the scene of an accident. Sheesh. What is smart about those things. They stopped building the Corvair because Nader said it was unsafe. Funny he hasn't said anything about these things yet. Where does the search for fuel mileage and safety split and go their seperate ways? Smart Car? I don't think so.
They won't be so bad after they stop making those huge SUVs with a soccer mom (who can't drive it) and just two kids inside and the urban cowboy stops buying huge pickups to haul a few garden plants around once in a while. I have no problem with huge pickups for those who use them for work. Funny how the rest of the world gets by without those huge vehicles. Smaller vehicles are the future. Better get use to it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 12 Jun 2009, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I went from a Suburban to a PT. I'm trying to get used to it but safe is safe. Same thing happened back in the 70's during the last fuel crisis. This debate could go on for weeks and weeks and still not have an outcome that satisfies everyone especially since soccer Mom's aren't the only problems on the roads today. Go for a ride with me on my Harley and I'll show you many daydreamers, cell phone talkers, inexperienced teen drivers who think they're Earnhadt Jr. I could go on but I'm done this is way of topic. Take care
Old 12 Jun 2009, 04:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Gas milage again

Hey Guys,

I was kinda curious on something. It won't improve the gas millage of a PT much, but with the cost of fuel going up once again, has anybody ever heard of anyone ever converting a PT to run on LP "Liquid Propane"?

The conversions are pretty easy, will run any gas engine, the cost is about half for the fuel, and it burns way cleaner. I have seen it done on a bunch of SUV's, as well as other small cars like a Mini Cooper, and so on, but never on a PT, and just wondered why?

Also, I know I have mentioned this one before, but if you really want to bring your fuel millage up, speed makes a huge difference. Long story short, I used to drive an 18 wheeler cross country that had a fuel capacity of 200 gallons which would give me a range of about 1200 miles, and was governed to run no faster than 65 MPH. One time my Truck broke down, and they gave me a loaner that was governed at 75 MPH, and just that extra 10 MPH cut my range from 1200 miles down to 750 miles with the same amount of fuel. That is why most Company Trucks on the road are governed to go only 65 MPH or slower is to save on fuel, and last time the fuel went up, even the Airlines had started cuttung down on speed and increasing flight times to cut the cost of fuel back. Sure, it might be boring, and a bit annoying having to leave 10 minutes earlier to get wherever you go a little bit slower to get to where your going, but in the long run, if you just drop down your speed by 5 - 10 MPH, you should see a huge increase in your millage on your PT. Try it for a week or two, and I'll bet you will be amazed at the result!

That's my two cents anyways.

GO easy,

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing