Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I think I found my painter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2009, 11:35 am
Young Cruiser

Talking I think I found my painter

2009's Calendar (December) House of Kolor's PPA Winner Greg Rudy of Sundance Grafix here in Suffolk, VA.

Looks like I'll be dealing with him on what I want to do with my cruiser over the next year or so.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlameEtching.jpg (51.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg PtLion.jpg (23.2 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Jabouty; 12 Jun 2009 at 11:50 am.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 03:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Re: I think I found my painter

so what is it you plan on doing to the PT?

Old 12 Jun 2009, 04:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Talking Re: I think I found my painter

Hey their Jabouty,

Sounds like a plan to me! I agree, what do you have in mind? Inquiring minds want to know???

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 12 Jun 2009, 04:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, first comes the body mods which will be being supplied by our very own pteazer. I'm looking at shaving the bumper off in the rear, popping the teardrop tails on her. For the front I'm looking at the split grill bumperette (sorry, am on my iPhone and don't remember the name of the one I'm eyeing).

From there I'll be losing the liftgate completely by cutting the top half out and converting that area into a full window that rolls down ala early 80s bronco. The bottom half I'm looking at turning into a true tailgate with the ability to drop down tailgate style or open like a door. The switch where the wiper control for rear wiper is will house the window control for the rear window. I have quotes already for the new glass and weathertrripping work along with the tail body work to allow the window to roll up and down.

After those are done ill look at particular themes to go with and am open for suggestions. The utility I want to keep is that of a beach BBQ party van. I'll be adding interior addition with the stereo setup to support this, and already have the grill that hooks into my trailer hitch for cooking.

If you have thoughts on particular coloring I'm open to them, but I don't want flames at all (overused IMO). I'm leaning heavily towards a pearlescent earthy sand tones, or ocean blues and greens.

Jab
Old 13 Jun 2009, 07:35 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: I think I found my painter

Hey their Jabouty,

Sounds like you got a pretty serious plan their for sure! That rear end is really gonna be a cool piece of work when it gets all done, and Ray is the man with the plan for that kind of stuff as he has pulled out some of the sickest PT's of all time out of his Shop! Since you already have some estimates on the body work, then you got a good idea how expensive of a process everything will be so I don't need to throw my two cents in on the cost, and depth of a project that epic, but if its done right, it has the potential of being a really huge!

Can't wait to see it! May just have to Cruise on up to Teazer, and check it out whenever you get her in the Shop!

I'll also try to kick some color ideas around and see what I can come up with. You've most likely already seen my ride, but just in case you haven't, here is my beast. I know your not much into flames, but I did most of the paint myself including the full design and layout. The whole thing was re-painted from scratch starting with Mitsubishi Silver Metallic for a base color, followed by four coat's of a custom mixed blend of House of Kolor Candy Tangerine Pearl. Next I did a basic Flame layout by hand and shot it with House of Kolor Basic Black, and then followed up with Gold, Silver, Copper, and Gunmetal Gray Microflake, and Ice Pearl streaked throughout the layout to give it a really unique color changing effect that isn't noticeable until your up close walking past, at which point it pops at you pretty good. Then I had a buddy of mine do a hand pin stripe transitioning from Hugger Orange up front to a nice Med-Dark Red as you make your way down the design. Once that was done, I shot it with 14 thin coats of Clear to max out the gloss, and depth of the paint as much as possible. I still got more plans for it including some more air brush coming up in the near future, but I got another major project in the works at the moment so paint waits for now. Never ending project without a doubt but a blast to build for sure!! Anyways, here is a pic if you haven't seen it yet.

Go easy, and keep us up on your progress for sure! C Ya Later!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Last edited by Candyman; 13 Jun 2009 at 08:03 am.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:49 am
Young Cruiser

I've oggled yer ride for a couple of days now. It's definitely a hot beast and you've actually made the flames look good and in place for it.

The body project is fairly expensive, but I'm hoping to be able to cut some of that cost via some creative recycling. We'll see how I do with it as I progress. The biggest thing is getting the engine right first though. Having a loud valve tap as yer going down the road blows for the wrong attention.

Unfortunately I'll only be able to order the mods from teaser as I'm in Virginia. I have a guy local here that restores vintage cars and trucks that'll be doing the install for the teaser mods.

Last edited by Jabouty; 13 Jun 2009 at 09:55 am.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 10:50 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: I think I found my painter

Hey their Jabouty,

I thank you for the props on my Flames! Much appreciated big time! Too bad your a bit far from me, or I would kinda really be interested in maybe seeing if I could get my hands dirty and play around with that Tailgate Idea a bit! That is going to really look cool one of these days, and I wish you all the best on it!

As for Themes, and Paint ideas, since your going for Beach BBQ Ride vibe, are you leaning more towards maybe a Surf Woodie Theme, or something else in mind or? And I know your not a Flames type of person, so are you maybe looking for some different types of graphics, Air Brush, or maybe a cool Wrap, or?

As for colors, if you want to really stand out, their are a few things that might be cool things you can pull off that no one else has done on a PT as of yet. Just need some more info from ya to develop a few ideas.

Go easy,

Candyman

Old 14 Jun 2009, 08:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Think Jimmy Buffet playing in the background, brats, burgers and today's catch on the grill at sunset on the beach. The perfect summer evening after the perfect summer day at the beach. Beer, friends and good times. That's the feeling I want to invoke when someone looks at her.

As I said I'm open to ideas. Wife will kill me if I go retro woody though (not sure why, but she hates the woodies). Again, right now I'm not entirely sure on graphics or airbrushed mural. That's something that the family and I are going to be discussing for sometime I'm sure.

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on the general styling of course as this is my first theme project ever.

Jab
Old 14 Jun 2009, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Jab look like we live pretty close to each other.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: I think I found my painter

What?
Converting the PT into a golf cart????

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!