Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
starting problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2009, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default starting problem

Have been having overheating problems so Hubby removed the thermostat tonight. Thinking it was sticking. I was thinking it was the rad. fan so Hub being the non mechanic that he is took the hi speed rad fan relay fuse out of it's slot and tried to run a wire from it to the pos on the battery to see if the fan would kick on. No fan and now when I try to start the car I get all the lights bells and dings on the dash but no starter trying at all. As if it isn't even hooked up. Any suggestions? I am just sick over this. I need the darn car to go to work. It has been nothing but problems since purchase a year ago. It is a 2002 and the longer I own it the more I hate it.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: starting problem

Sorry you hate your PT so much. Your at a site asking for help with thousands of satisfied owners.

On to your problem. Below is the fuse box in the engine compartment. Your hubby already knows all about that. All the relays in the corner of the box, including the high speed relay that hubby ran the wire too are all the same. They can be interchanged. The horn relay is the easiest to swap around. First try the horn relay in the ASD (E) slot and if that doesn't start the car, try the horn relay in the Starter Relay (B) slot. But first hit the horn to make sure that relay (A) is good.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Tried that and it didn't work. It's the strangest thing. Could this be totally unrelated to what he did? You know how when it is the battery you get the clicking? I don't get that, I get NOTHING from the starter. When the starter goes, doesn't it sort of try to start before it goes completely?
I bought this car in August last year and had to put a new engine in it in Dec. Since that time I have also had the A/C repaired twice and it is out again. I have since quit using that mechanic because I think he saw me as his payday princess.
I would really like to raise the radiator cap and drive a new one underneath it, but can't afford to do that right now.
Thanks for your help!
Old 16 Jun 2009, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just thought of something else--it's as if I am not pushing the clutch in when I try to start it. Could it have something to do with that. I just went out and tried to start it without pushing in the clutch and it does the exact same thing so there must be a switch that has gone bad? And if that is it, is it easily repaired? or can it be bypassed somehow?

Last edited by cookie; 17 Jun 2009 at 06:21 am.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 07:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
Get a meter or a 12v bulb and some wire. Go from + lug on starter to ground and try to start car - if bulb lights (or you get 12V), then it's starter (or starter solenoid). If not, then look as fuses, relays, switches, wiring....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles