Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating AGAIN!!!!! Dammit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2009, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating AGAIN!!!!! Dammit

I had my thermostat replaced back in february and since then everything was fine until this wkend after I ran my a/c for the first time. The car started to run hot on the hwy so I pulled over and had the car towed since I wasn't far from home. Put antifreeze in it and it seemed to work fine. Noticed before all this happened that a liquid was leaking from car and I hadn't used the a/c at all this year when that happened. Well now I can hear bubbling in the reservoir and the car is starting to run hot. I turned my heat on but the heat blows out cold. Car still going hot after heat (cold heat) is turned on. My oil light also came on but not sure if its related to this b/c the oil light has come on before even though I have oil in the car. Looked under hood and I see antifreeze coming out of the hose thats connected to the thing where the radiator cap is (sorry I'm a girl and dn't knw what to call it) I also noticed that the silver bar on the far left near the edge had water like bubbles on it and when I touched it this bar was extremely cold almost freezing. Help what does all this mean? Checked oil and I don't see any water in it or any sludge.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating AGAIN!!!!! Dammit

oh yeah the car is a 2001 limited edition and I'm the 3rd owner so not sure what was done before I got the car. It has about 175,000 miles on it.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 01:12 pm
Young Cruiser

does it only overheat when you run the a/c?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It overheats all the time now. Each and every time I drive and it doesn't cool off when driving.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 02:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I skimmed thru the post.. but are you sure its not the 2-speed electrical fan? I just had that issue a few weeks ago.

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 17 Jun 2009, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not sure about the 2nd speed fan. When I had the thermostat replaced in february I was told the fans were working fine b/c they checked that and thought that was my problem initially.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Do a search on here and google how to diagnose the fans.. I guess it's very common on these cars for them to go out.

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 17 Jun 2009, 08:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

probley got a pluged up rad. but for the siliver lines on the left its normal to have wannter on them or drip off them its just condensation from them because there the ac lines and they run cold.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 09:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, if you have antifreeze coming out where the radiator cap is, you have a leak AND you had to add antifreeze so that proves it. You saw antifreeze coming out of the Upper Radiator Hose so that's your first priority: stop the leak. Unfortunately the upper manifold has to come off to access the hose. If your lucky the hose only has to be tightened down to stop the leak but depending on what year and your mileage, you might just have the hose replaced.

Once you started leaking, air got into the coolant system and one of the symptoms of trapped air is no heat when you turned it on. The bubbling in the reservoir is also because of the trapped air and is most likely the cause of your overheating. After anything is added to the coolant system, it has to be bled of any trapped air.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey crewzin you might be right but let me ask you one more thing. I started another thread in regards to no fluid in the radiator when I take the cap off. When I remove the cap I don't see any fluid looking straight in. Is it b/c of the leak in the upper radiator hose?