Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question What would you do?

We where recently given a 2001 Limited Edition. The car has 100800 miles. Well actually we paid $450 to get it out of the shop. They replaced the timing belt on the car. To make a long story short, we took it to the Chrysler dealer to get some instrument panel lights checked and to run a diagnostic to make sure the vehicle was working properly. Turns out the car was not properly fixed. Now the dealer cuoted the job at $2,700 worse case scenario. In a situation like this, What would you do? fix or get rid of it?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 01:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYankeeCruiser40 View Post
We where recently given a 2001 Limited Edition. The car has 100800 miles. Well actually we paid $450 to get it out of the shop. They replaced the timing belt on the car. To make a long story short, we took it to the Chrysler dealer to get some instrument panel lights checked and to run a diagnostic to make sure the vehicle was working properly. Turns out the car was not properly fixed. Now the dealer cuoted the job at $2,700 worse case scenario. In a situation like this, What would you do? fix or get rid of it?
$3150 is still pretty cheap for a car. What condition is the car in overall? Does it look taken care of?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Jun 2009, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with MG above but you also might look into a private mechanic if you know reputable one. Dealer hourly charges are always higher than an outside garage so you could save a bunch of money but only if the outside garage knows what their doing or you might find yourself back to the dealer to fix it again.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 12:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car is in very good shape. Paint is good, body, interior is leather and also in good shape. I realy like the little car and I am looking at getting the job done outside of the dealr like you suggest. Next step like you mention is finding a good mechanic. Thank you for the help.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 01:38 pm
Young Cruiser

IMHO, if you like the car, do take it to a GOOD, reputable mechanic and get it fixed. These are great cars!

Also, was the timing belt installed improperly? Was the $450 that you paid the shop that you got it from for replacing the timing belt? If so, take it back and have them fix it.

Last edited by tandt14; 18 Jun 2009 at 01:41 pm. Reason: added more
Old 18 Jun 2009, 01:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

as above get it fixed and keep it pt,s are ace cars
i got mine cheap as it needed a few little jobs doing (wheel bearing rear drop links etc but well worth the time it took to fix )
i only paid just over 2000 not sure what that is in $