PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

What's the best MPG can the PT Cruiser get?

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2009, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's the best MPG can the PT Cruiser get?

Hi there. I'm looking to buy a PT Cruiser for my first car. However, the only thing that's a problem is the gas mileage. On Fuel Economy, it says that the 2006-2008 PT Cruisers get 19 mpg in the city.

Any chance they can get better gas mileage than this?

What's the best MPG in the city you've seen in your own Cruisers?
Old 03 Jul 2009, 06:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What's the best MPG can the PT Cruiser get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
Hi there. I'm looking to buy a PT Cruiser for my first car. However, the only thing that's a problem is the gas mileage. On Fuel Economy, it says that the 2006-2008 PT Cruisers get 19 mpg in the city.

Any chance they can get better gas mileage than this?

What's the best MPG in the city you've seen in your own Cruisers?
18-20 for the automatic is about it. You'll probably see others claim more, but I suspect their math and how many tankfuls they went off of. I've had two automatic PTs, one 5 speed and have been following the PT since it came out. About 22-24 mpg in combination city/highway is about it. I've gotten 30+ mpg in strictly freeway driving. If you want better mpg you ought to go with another vehicle.
4drturbo likes this.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 03 Jul 2009, 07:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

I agree...my first four tankfuls are...20 - 18.5 - 24 - 18.5...This is after an oil change, air filter, dble plat. champion plugs & new plug wires as reccommended on this site....50-50 city/hghwy driving with a/c on 70% of the time and highway cruising speeds of 70mph in 80* weather. I'm expecting 26-28mpg when I go on my road trip for MOPARS@CARLISLE in a couple weeks....Good Luck! They are fun cars with lots of room for people and hauling items.

66CUDA
Old 04 Jul 2009, 07:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

im getting about 40-45mpg but ive got a 2.2crd which are always good on mpg
Old 04 Jul 2009, 07:57 am
Regular Cruiser

I've had my PT since April 3rd and I'm getting around 18mpg. But when I showoff or just screw around that number plummets. on the highway i average at 23mpg. that's before new spark plugs and wires though. If you are going to buy a car and are worried about gas mileage Go buy a Prius. But if you want a fun car that dosn't sound like the man on the VW commercial than go ahead and get the PT.
We PT owners would gladly welcome another owner to our kind.

Driver:Alex
Car:Petey
2006 Inferno Red PT Cruiser Touring Signature Series, 38K, 15mpg, Automatic.

Exterior:American Racing Estrella 16s, Toyo Proxes TPT, ROL Xtreme Exaust Tip.
Interior:Bumblebee BobbleHead, 2 6x9s, pioneer ts-g1640r's in doors, Parking Permit for my schoool.
Performance:Custom Air Intake, NGK Platinum plugs, Ceramic Brake Pads, Duralast 7.5mm coil wires, Duralast Performance rotors.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 09:41 am
Regular Cruiser

I have noted my gas milage on 3 tanks on my 06 manual non-turbo and I got an average of 27mpg, one tank was highway, one city and one 50-50.

but note that I'm not hard ont it and I never go over 3000rpm and half throttle. plus when driving at a constant speed I'm usually in 5th gear even at only 35mph. obviously when I need to accelerate or go uphill I downshift because there is really no power at 1200rpm.

It still be less than most cars but IMO for a 2.4L and the size of the vehicle its not that bad
Old 04 Jul 2009, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My interstate driving over the last month at 65 MPH was as much as 31 MPG. It all depends on how fast you drive. Around town, waiting on traffic lights I only get 18 - 20..

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Jul 2009, 03:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

the enjoyment you will have with a cruiser for the money you spend will far outweigh any gas price worries. Trust me Ive had five cruisers and will probably allways own one. The chevy HHR gets a little better but its not a PT, I have one of those too. The pt cruiser family is what makes the car so much fun .Some of the nicest people Ive met in my life and allways comming up with fun things to do envolving there cars.Good luck Ray Newton Pteazer.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 07:53 am
Cool Cruiser

I've seen 31 on a half-tank on the Interstate, but not every time??? My average so far is just over 21 combined. Less than I'd hoped, but acceptable for a sporty car.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 08:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm guesing that the PT does worse in just about every mileage catagory than similar cars. Then again, it's solid, rides right, and looks right.

Only the HHR comes close. It's heavy too, and mpgs aren't any better. I have a buddy that had one. His wife used it for groceries and kiddy rides to the daycare before she went off to work. They replaced it with a Taurus X, the wagon like cross-over now out of production. The Ford with V-6, and 8 seats gets better mpg. Go figure.

We love our PT, and recommend it to anyone that wants a small good looking car. But if you want mpg, buy a Focus (or dare I say it?) Cobalt. Chrysler isn't going to get you mpgs...

Last edited by jonas1022; 07 Jul 2009 at 06:41 am.