Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Coil Wireset

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2009, 03:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Default New Coil Wireset

So i was planning on going to AutoZone tomorrow to get some new coil wires but i was wondering if it was even worth it.
They have these wires: AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year

and these: AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year

Does anyone know of any better places to get wires?

i'm looking for performance wires not just replacements.

Driver:Alex
Car:Petey
2006 Inferno Red PT Cruiser Touring Signature Series, 38K, 15mpg, Automatic.

Exterior:American Racing Estrella 16s, Toyo Proxes TPT, ROL Xtreme Exaust Tip.
Interior:Bumblebee BobbleHead, 2 6x9s, pioneer ts-g1640r's in doors, Parking Permit for my schoool.
Performance:Custom Air Intake, NGK Platinum plugs, Ceramic Brake Pads, Duralast 7.5mm coil wires, Duralast Performance rotors.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 05:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Coil Wireset

Alex,

Just pick one of the sets your looking at. You don't need a "performance" set of wires for your PT. Even the owners of the modified Turbo PT's are happy with anything except the stock wires.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 05:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Okay thanks alot.

I bought new spark plugs yesterday and installed them without thinking about getting new wires. I'll go to AutoZone and get those wires I looked at, later today. then completly take apart my engine again and install those.

Interior:Bumblebee BobbleHead, 2 6x9s, pioneer ts-g1640r's in doors, Parking Permit for my schoool.
Performance:Custom Air Intake, NGK Platinum plugs, Ceramic Brake Pads, Duralast 7.5mm coil wires, Duralast Performance rotors.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 05:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't forget to pick up some packets of Anti-seize and Dielectric grease. You can buy them in a set (2 small packets) for a couple dollars. Anti-seize on the threads of the plugs and the grease on the ends of the wires.

Are you using the simple steps to change the ignition parts that are on the sticky on top of the Tech & Performance part of the forum? Taking your time and having the right tools it should only take you about 45 minutes to change everything.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Jul 2009 at 05:34 am.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 05:40 am
Regular Cruiser

oh shoot. i forgot to put antiseize when i installed the plugs. If I uninstall them later today and put antiseize on them do you think it will be okay?

oh and yes im using that guide. except since mine is an 06 a couple of the steps are different but i figured it out.

Old 04 Jul 2009, 05:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes and Yes,

A couple steps are different as the EGR things aren't on your model. The Anti-seize is so the threads of the plugs don't meld with the engine block after being screwed in for a period of time. The block is aluminum and the plugs are a different metal and can seize together after awhile. The Anti-seize prevents that and will make changing plugs next time a lot easier. Putting it on now (after the fact) won't hurt a bit.

Old 04 Jul 2009, 05:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Okay. Thanks for all the help.

By the way. I'm liking the Corvette... A lot.

Oh and is there any real reason why the stock wires and plugs are so bad?

Old 04 Jul 2009, 06:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Clarke View Post
Oh and is there any real reason why the stock wires and plugs are so bad?

Not really, just cheaply made I guess. There's been so many owners with rough idle, hesitation etc., and we tell them to change plugs and wires and everything clears up. Some have changed plugs only and still have problems and then go back for wires and all the problems go away.

By the way, the new TSB for plug gap is .040in vice the orginal .050in

Thanks for the Vette note.