PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Guy from New Jersey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2009, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Guy from New Jersey.

Hey guys and girls.

My name is Dan, And my brother just gave me a 03 PT. Its in pretty rough shape, on the body. The motor, trans, and interior are in perfect shape. It has 82,xxx miles on it. He gave it to me for free, hes moving to Florida and didnt wanna drive it down there.

So my plans are to get it back in original condition which will require new fenders, front bumper, radiator supports, new bushings (being replace with polyurethane), a new tie rod end, some body work, and paint. Im goint to paint it black and keep some chrome (door handles, rims, and exhaust tips). Im also going to put a aFe Intake, Flowmaster exhaust, and a Jet Stage 2 chip. All in all this is going to be my daily driver, my toy is my 97 Ford Ranger. Of which I've done massive amounts of work on. Here is the only pic of the car I found (currently in a shop getting the tie rod done) and a couple of my truck.

^Thats my brother in the pic.

So are there any little bugs or anything I should check before putting the car back on the road?
Old 05 Jul 2009, 03:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: New Guy from New Jersey.

HEY !!! new guy welcome , if your having to replace the front bumper check out one of mine and if it looks like something you might like call me.or if its just a used factory bumper you want I may be able to help you out with that too.my name is Ray and my company is called Pteazer you can find all my contact info there on my sight. You must be a good guy for your bro to give that ride enjoy it.Cheers Ray Newton Pteazer.
Old 05 Jul 2009, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum Dan. The only thing to warn you about is that we recommend to all owners to change the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and drive belts somewhere around 100,000 miles and the cost is anywhere fromm $800 - $1200 depending on where you take it for service. Also, check with your brother and see if he's had the transaxle flushed and when. The tranny is a weak point in the drivetrain and we recommend (there's that word again) a flush no later than 50,000 miles and again about the same time as the timing belt is due.

Good luck with yours. Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly people here to talk and answer questions.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2009, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NVRDONE, Welcome to the Forum. IMHO my suggestion is to forget the Jet Chip and use that money for another MOD. You are only going to get so many MPG and no more, no matter what you do to it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Jul 2009, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum Dan. The only thing to warn you about is that we recommend to all owners to change the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and drive belts somewhere around 100,000 miles and the cost is anywhere fromm $800 - $1200 depending on where you take it for service. Also, check with your brother and see if he's had the transaxle flushed and when. The tranny is a weak point in the drivetrain and we recommend (there's that word again) a flush no later than 50,000 miles and again about the same time as the timing belt is due.

Good luck with yours. Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly people here to talk and answer questions.

Well Since I now have two vehicles I will be doing most of the work myself so it would cost me parts and beer, lol. It dose have (From OCT-08) a fresh timing belt, tensioner, water pump, radiator, hoses, IAC valve, MAP/BARO Sensor, and IAT Sensor. From what he told me the stop bolt on the throttle body was messed with and I have to get another one on there, Is this something I can do with one from a junkyard?

Right now it blew a tie rod, the cause of which, I think, is that he never replace the A frame bushing. Depending on the condition of said part Im either going to replace it completely or replace with polyurethane bushings. Also I will be replacing the Drive belt and the tensioner. Is the transaxle fluid change something I can do? And do you reccommend Synthetic over Dino oil at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
NVRDONE, Welcome to the Forum. IMHO my suggestion is to forget the Jet Chip and use that money for another MOD. You are only going to get so many MPG and no more, no matter what you do to it.
Im not really looking for MPG's my truck gets around 30mpg (highway), What Im looking for is throttle response and a few more horses. Pretty much a nice cruiser. I Auto-X my truck so it has a pretty rough ride due to the mods I've done on the suspension.

Last edited by NVRDONE; 05 Jul 2009 at 08:46 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2009, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure about the stop bolt on the throttle body. I would guess if you can find it somewhere it should work on yours.

On the tranny fluid change. It's messy job as there's no drain plug. You need to loosen all the bolts and let the pan drop on one side and try and catch all the fluid. You only change about 4 qts that way out of about 16 for a full flush but the flush can only be done by a machine at a shop.

It's up to you if you want to switch to synthetic but you'd have to do the whole flush if your going to change so your talking somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 for a synthetic flush and change against $100-$125 for dyno oil flush.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2009, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Not sure about the stop bolt on the throttle body. I would guess if you can find it somewhere it should work on yours.

On the tranny fluid change. It's messy job as there's no drain plug. You need to loosen all the bolts and let the pan drop on one side and try and catch all the fluid. You only change about 4 qts that way out of about 16 for a full flush but the flush can only be done by a machine at a shop.

It's up to you if you want to switch to synthetic but you'd have to do the whole flush if your going to change so your talking somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 for a synthetic flush and change against $100-$125 for dyno oil flush.
Okay sounds good. Now a few more questions. Us Ford guys, use Autolite products in our ignition. What brand is touted for these PT's?

And is there a preferred brand of Motor Oil and Trans Fluid above all?

Or should I stick to Mopar stuff?

Thanks a bunch for answering my questions and for the welcome!!
Old 05 Jul 2009, 09:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any brand of motor oil will do. We only recommend synthetic for the turbo's, but a lot of owners, including myself, are using synthetic in the non-turbo also.

As far as the tranny (transzlxe) goes, Chrysler says to ONLY use ATF+4 (synthetic ATF+5).

This is a little old and talks about ATF+3 but good info:

Changing and flushing automatic transmission fluid

Old 05 Jul 2009, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, sounds good. As soon as the car hits my driveway I will be posting up a build thread. Im looking forward to posting around here and eventually contributing to this site.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
Where 'bouts in Joisey?
Nice of your brother...
To the list I'd add plugs & wires - there's a guide here on how to change them.
Don't buy stock wires, they are crap - Cranes (if you can find them) - magnecore,... the Champions are fine - gap at 0.040.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles