PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my car passed its mot today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2009, 05:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel
Smile my car passed its mot today

today my pt went for its mot (not sure what its called in usa but its a test that we have to do every year and makes sure car is road worthy and safe to drive)
and it passed
just 2 advisory points thay pointed out
the rear brake pipes (metal part) are slightly corroded on the sureface but ive been told to just clean the sureface up with a wire brush and paint them and pipes wiil be fine
and a wish bone rubber is showing signs it getting past it but im goint to be replaceing both wishbone soon any way ive had the new wish bones ages just not fitted them

so im very happy

Last edited by fastdel; 06 Jul 2009 at 05:49 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 11:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: my car passed its mot today

In some U.S. States, the first indication that a car is no longer roadworthy is when something important falls off. In a few other states, "safety inspections" are a legally-required scam to part the motorist from as much money as possible, since the inspections are done at licensed garages. (Not like the "cash-back" scheme on major appliances you might recall.)

With your car on the hydraulic lift, "Well gawrsh Mr. Foznorkleburg, there's a 0.005 mm crack in your MacPherson Strut's rubber dust boot. I can't pass you with that crack, and I can't let you leave the shop with that dreadful safety defect. The good news is that it will only cost you $900 for each strut, and you only need two."

Good on ya for having an honest inspection station.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 02:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: my car passed its mot today

Here in Quebec, Canada, we don't have to pass this test every year nor every X years...we just have to IF a police officer, during any kind of intervention, think it's necessary...if he thinks that the car isn't roadworthy anymore and looks (and usually sounds) like an old ragged and pretty worn car.

They proceed with a quick test (hand brake, flashers, muffler sounding with a quick step on gas, etc) and if you unluckily fail to pass lots of these then you're good for an inspection.

Once or twice a year, they do a "surprise" inspection on the road about it though.

Or if the car hasn't been "plated" for more than 1 year.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 04:58 am
Young Cruiser

Isn't it lovley our govt's are taking such good care of us , what would we do with out them. Andy
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
In some U.S. States, the first indication that a car is no longer roadworthy is when something important falls off. In a few other states, "safety inspections" are a legally-required scam to part the motorist from as much money as possible, since the inspections are done at licensed garages. (Not like the "cash-back" scheme on major appliances you might recall.)

With your car on the hydraulic lift, "Well gawrsh Mr. Foznorkleburg, there's a 0.005 mm crack in your MacPherson Strut's rubber dust boot. I can't pass you with that crack, and I can't let you leave the shop with that dreadful safety defect. The good news is that it will only cost you $900 for each strut, and you only need two."

Good on ya for having an honest inspection station.
So true....

I moved here to GA from NY about 10 years ago and one thing I don't miss is the yearly inspections...

That and road salt having its way with your car.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Wumpus

When I loved out in Idaho it was insane what you would see driving on the road. Rusty pickups with no windshields or truckbeds. Insane.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wumpus welcome to the Forum!!

By your last post about loving in Idaho, were you advertising?? Not that I'm interested.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Jul 2009, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Wumpus

Eeek! Well I guess I loved in Idaho, and lived there. And that is a perfect example of why I should double check all my spelling.

Oh... and thanks for the welcome!
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah welcome Wumpus...

I'm from Watertown, about an hour north of Syracuse.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

so i take it that in usa there are car tests depending upon which state your in kool
uk mots can be a pain but it stops dangerus car from been driven

ive got some cure rust and a wire brush and will be doing the sureface of the rear brake pipes this weekend joy