PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horse Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2009, 01:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Horse Power

Okay, so I have no clue how much horse power these little engine have, and I couldn't really find an exact answer on the lovely untrustable internet, so here is my question: how much horse power does my 2005 Touring Edition PT have?

The most accurate one I found was 150 on mototrend. I believe this is correct, just verifying

And would it get better gas mileage if it was a 6 cylinder as for it would not be working as hard as the 4 does going up a big hill for example?

Last edited by YoungCruiserrr; 07 Jul 2009 at 02:00 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Horse Power

Google is your friend

http://www.autosite.com/content/rese...r/Year_si/2005

150 horsies?

The gas mileage can be blamed on the PT being a 3000+ lb brick on wheels... not sure if a 6 cylinder can fix aerodynamics... or lack thereof.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungCruiserrr View Post
Okay, so I have no clue how much horse power these little engine have, and I couldn't really find an exact answer on the lovely untrustable internet, so here is my question: how much horse power does my 2005 Touring Edition PT have?

And would it get better gas mileage if it was a 6 cylinder as for it would not be working as hard as the 4 does going up a big hill for example?
It's putting out 150 hp and as the story goes, they first thought of putting a 6 cylinder in the PT but the shape of the front end didn't go along with shoe-horning the 6 inside. (180 for the Turbo Lite and 220-230 for the GT)

That's why every modified PT that we've ever seen has been a V8 rear wheel drive. Are you planning on something different?

Aerodynamics and weight have a lot going against the PT getting a lot better gas mileage but look at some of the posts here on the forum and if you can believe them, they're in the high 20's to low 30's. That's great as far as I'm concerned.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

Aerodynamics and weight have a lot going against the PT getting a lot better gas mileage but look at some of the posts here on the forum and if you can believe them, they're in the high 20's to low 30's. That's great as far as I'm concerned.
Yep... If being the keyword.

Looking at Browse All Chrysler PT Cruisers | Fuelly showing all has the majority at 21-23 mpg.... That's about where I'm at although I just started tracking it.

Yeah, there's a few in the high 20's, but that's where the "if" comes into play again. Do I believe 28 mpg? Not in city driving.

Last edited by Travis2k7; 07 Jul 2009 at 02:14 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
Google is your friend

http://www.autosite.com/content/rese...r/Year_si/2005

150 horsies?

The gas mileage can be blamed on the PT being a 3000+ lb brick on wheels... not sure if a 6 cylinder can fix aerodynamics... or lack thereof.
Google is sometime, but I kept getting these websites that lacked poor web design which I never trust websites that don't look professional =x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
It's putting out 150 hp and as the story goes, they first thought of putting a 6 cylinder in the PT but the shape of the front end didn't go along with shoe-horning the 6 inside. (180 for the Turbo Lite and 220-230 for the GT)

That's why every modified PT that we've ever seen has been a V8 rear wheel drive. Are you planning on something different?

No I was just wondering how much HP the PT has. Don't plan on putting anything new in it. It was more so my curiosity, and I didn't know the car weighed so much! whats a normal car weigh around?

Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Google is sometime, but I kept getting these websites that lacked poor web design which I never trust websites that don't look professional =x
Well make sure you check out Welcome to Teston Machine Corporation for a truly poor design.

Did it myself back in November when work was getting a little slack around here.... I'm happy to say though it has picked up considerably in 2009.

Click the waterjet section to see what I do, and yes, I can cut custom parts. We just put an S-10 tranny into a 1931 Buick that the owner bought... I cut the parts that made it all fit together
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
Well make sure you check out Welcome to Teston Machine Corporation for a truly poor design.

Did it myself back in November when work was getting a little slack around here.... I'm happy to say though it has picked up considerably in 2009.

Click the waterjet section to see what I do, and yes, I can cut custom parts. We just put an S-10 tranny into a 1931 Buick that the owner bought... I cut the parts that made it all fit together
that's not a bad design at all, the content is there and so is the navigation, I mean I'd be able to take a statement on that website and believe it. for example here is a terrible website, voted worst website in 2008! lol It's ridiculous

HavenWorks.com ;-) NEWS HAVEN INFORMATION REFERENCE SOURCES FACTS

Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a comparison table with the PT, HHR, Suzuki and KIA. You can expand some of the different lines. The PT is actually a bit lighter than the others.

Compare 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Competitors at Automotive.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

I wonder if we could increase our gas milage by removing the rear seats, they are actually pretty heavy, in city stop and go driving it could be favorable to have the car a few hundred lbs lighter I think
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
that's not a bad design at all, the content is there and so is the navigation, I mean I'd be able to take a statement on that website and believe it. for example here is a terrible website, voted worst website in 2008! lol It's ridiculous

HavenWorks.com ;-) NEWS HAVEN INFORMATION REFERENCE SOURCES FACTS
You are right, that website gave me serious eyestrain.

Thanks for the compliment about my website...