PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horse Power

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 01:55 pm
YoungCruiserrr's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 544
Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Horse Power

Okay, so I have no clue how much horse power these little engine have, and I couldn't really find an exact answer on the lovely untrustable internet, so here is my question: how much horse power does my 2005 Touring Edition PT have?

The most accurate one I found was 150 on mototrend. I believe this is correct, just verifying

And would it get better gas mileage if it was a 6 cylinder as for it would not be working as hard as the 4 does going up a big hill for example?
__________________
2005 Brilliant Black
PT Cruiser Touring Edition
34,000 Miles.






Last edited by YoungCruiserrr; 07 Jul 2009 at 02:00 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:00 pm
Travis2k7's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 406
Default Re: Horse Power

Google is your friend

http://www.autosite.com/content/rese...r/Year_si/2005

150 horsies?

The gas mileage can be blamed on the PT being a 3000+ lb brick on wheels... not sure if a 6 cylinder can fix aerodynamics... or lack thereof.
__________________
2006 Limited, Auto, 100k miles
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: Horse Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungCruiserrr View Post
Okay, so I have no clue how much horse power these little engine have, and I couldn't really find an exact answer on the lovely untrustable internet, so here is my question: how much horse power does my 2005 Touring Edition PT have?

And would it get better gas mileage if it was a 6 cylinder as for it would not be working as hard as the 4 does going up a big hill for example?
It's putting out 150 hp and as the story goes, they first thought of putting a 6 cylinder in the PT but the shape of the front end didn't go along with shoe-horning the 6 inside. (180 for the Turbo Lite and 220-230 for the GT)

That's why every modified PT that we've ever seen has been a V8 rear wheel drive. Are you planning on something different?

Aerodynamics and weight have a lot going against the PT getting a lot better gas mileage but look at some of the posts here on the forum and if you can believe them, they're in the high 20's to low 30's. That's great as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:11 pm
Travis2k7's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 406
Default Re: Horse Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

Aerodynamics and weight have a lot going against the PT getting a lot better gas mileage but look at some of the posts here on the forum and if you can believe them, they're in the high 20's to low 30's. That's great as far as I'm concerned.
Yep... If being the keyword.

Looking at Browse All Chrysler PT Cruisers | Fuelly showing all has the majority at 21-23 mpg.... That's about where I'm at although I just started tracking it.

Yeah, there's a few in the high 20's, but that's where the "if" comes into play again. Do I believe 28 mpg? Not in city driving.
__________________
2006 Limited, Auto, 100k miles

Last edited by Travis2k7; 07 Jul 2009 at 02:14 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:12 pm
YoungCruiserrr's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 544
Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Re: Horse Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
Google is your friend

http://www.autosite.com/content/rese...r/Year_si/2005

150 horsies?

The gas mileage can be blamed on the PT being a 3000+ lb brick on wheels... not sure if a 6 cylinder can fix aerodynamics... or lack thereof.
Google is sometime, but I kept getting these websites that lacked poor web design which I never trust websites that don't look professional =x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
It's putting out 150 hp and as the story goes, they first thought of putting a 6 cylinder in the PT but the shape of the front end didn't go along with shoe-horning the 6 inside. (180 for the Turbo Lite and 220-230 for the GT)

That's why every modified PT that we've ever seen has been a V8 rear wheel drive. Are you planning on something different?

Aerodynamics and weight have a lot going against the PT getting a lot better gas mileage but look at some of the posts here on the forum and if you can believe them, they're in the high 20's to low 30's. That's great as far as I'm concerned.
No I was just wondering how much HP the PT has. Don't plan on putting anything new in it. It was more so my curiosity, and I didn't know the car weighed so much! whats a normal car weigh around?
__________________
2005 Brilliant Black
PT Cruiser Touring Edition
34,000 Miles.





Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:17 pm
Travis2k7's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 406
Default Re: Horse Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungCruiserrr View Post
Google is sometime, but I kept getting these websites that lacked poor web design which I never trust websites that don't look professional =x
Well make sure you check out Welcome to Teston Machine Corporation for a truly poor design.

Did it myself back in November when work was getting a little slack around here.... I'm happy to say though it has picked up considerably in 2009.

Click the waterjet section to see what I do, and yes, I can cut custom parts. We just put an S-10 tranny into a 1931 Buick that the owner bought... I cut the parts that made it all fit together
__________________
2006 Limited, Auto, 100k miles
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:23 pm
YoungCruiserrr's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 544
Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Re: Horse Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
Well make sure you check out Welcome to Teston Machine Corporation for a truly poor design.

Did it myself back in November when work was getting a little slack around here.... I'm happy to say though it has picked up considerably in 2009.

Click the waterjet section to see what I do, and yes, I can cut custom parts. We just put an S-10 tranny into a 1931 Buick that the owner bought... I cut the parts that made it all fit together
that's not a bad design at all, the content is there and so is the navigation, I mean I'd be able to take a statement on that website and believe it. for example here is a terrible website, voted worst website in 2008! lol It's ridiculous

HavenWorks.com ;-) NEWS HAVEN INFORMATION REFERENCE SOURCES FACTS
__________________
2005 Brilliant Black
PT Cruiser Touring Edition
34,000 Miles.





Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: Horse Power

Here's a comparison table with the PT, HHR, Suzuki and KIA. You can expand some of the different lines. The PT is actually a bit lighter than the others.

Compare 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Competitors at Automotive.com
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:33 pm
yaris's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: quebec
Posts: 159
Default Re: Horse Power

I wonder if we could increase our gas milage by removing the rear seats, they are actually pretty heavy, in city stop and go driving it could be favorable to have the car a few hundred lbs lighter I think
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2009, 02:35 pm
Travis2k7's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 406
Default Re: Horse Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungCruiserrr View Post
that's not a bad design at all, the content is there and so is the navigation, I mean I'd be able to take a statement on that website and believe it. for example here is a terrible website, voted worst website in 2008! lol It's ridiculous

HavenWorks.com ;-) NEWS HAVEN INFORMATION REFERENCE SOURCES FACTS
You are right, that website gave me serious eyestrain.

Thanks for the compliment about my website...
__________________
2006 Limited, Auto, 100k miles
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
power steering problems bluebeard Tech & Performance Forum 1 06 May 2009 07:07 am
Power Outlet Always On newcruiser123 Tech & Performance Forum 1 31 Mar 2009 05:37 pm
2008 lineup saves on fuel, but not power skylight PT Cruiser News and Rumors 0 13 Oct 2007 04:09 pm
Guide: 2006 Power windows and Sunroof always on. zapwizard General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 21 May 2007 09:23 am
Horse power mod??? Bigphil3232 General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 12 Mar 2004 06:58 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors