Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
T-One Trailer Wiring install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2009, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default T-One Trailer Wiring install

I recently put a hitch on my 07 and the T-One wiring kit. Things plugged in easy enough and works great. I am not real happy though with the path I used to get the hot lead from the battery to the back of the car. I came down behind the battery and airbox and over the tie rod. Secured it there to the frame and ran it back to the rear suspension on the left side of the car. Also had to deal with the muffler there. I got it done but it seems hokey. I'm sure next time I take it in for service the mechanic will wonder what nummy put this in. Has anyone found a good, secure path to run the hot lead back to the wiring converter?
Old 09 Jul 2009, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: T-One Trailer Wiring install

CruisinDad,

There's enough space in the firewall at the area where the cable from the hood release goes through to put a few wires. Run your hot lead through that space and down along the floor. The panels at each door just pull up and you can hide the wire there. Same goes for all the panels all the way back, they just pull off or there's 1 or 2 screws to take out. Then you can go through the floor board or somewhere that you can reach from underneath. A lot safer than running a hot lead outside from front to back.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: T-One Trailer Wiring install

Thanks Crewzin -

Yeah, that seems to be the ticket. I'm not real familiar with the interior and was shy on time and ambition to start pulling the interior apart. The converter is just inside the right rear light cavity so I have to run the hot wire from the left front to the right rear. Taking of some pannels and stuffing the wire under some carpet edge sounds easy enough. Possibly a good place to cross over is behind the rear seats. Finding a way back out with the wire may be problematic. I am leary of drilling holes that could introduce water and rust into the body and interior.