PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New old guy here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2009, 07:51 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy
Default New old guy here

Howdy PT people. I'm John, an old retired person down here in southwest Florida. I just bought my first Chrysler product last night. I been a chevy guy for for 45 years It's a 2005 GT convertible. The car has 61k miles on it. I am not familiar with this car at all so I have a large learning process to go through. I try and do most of the maintenance myself. I purchased this car off a car lot and don't know any history on it other then the Carfax I got. So what's been done I do not know. I think I will just go ahead and change out all the stuff that should be done up to what the book says to 60k miles. I have been reading a bit on here. I believe the plugs and wires need a changing since it does idle a bit rough. Going to change trans fluid (automatic). I'm thinking of going to synthetic oil in the engine. Anyone know if this can be harmful since car probably been using dino oil for 60k miles? A few questions;

Trans oil capacity for the automatic
What spark plugs and wires to use
Rotors and brake pads

Pictures to come soon
Old 10 Jul 2009, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New old guy here

Welcome to the forum John.

The transaxle, if your doing the full flush, takes 16 quarts. But if your doing it yourself and only dropping the pan you only need 4 quarts. You need to use only ATF+4 fluid which is available at the dealer or auto parts stores but make sure it reads ATF+4. There's also synthetic (I just went to it myself) and I think the mechanic called it ATF+5 but can't verify that.

For the turbo, use copper plugs and I believe the new gap should be around .032in. Any good set of wires as ling as it's not the same wires they use from the factory. A lot of us use Crane wires from the performance section of www.RaceandStreet.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

fljohnboy Welcome to the Forum!! I am long past retirement so I know where you are coming from. BTW I wouldn't depend much on the CARFAX info, known to be not necessarily correct.

PLugs we recommend is Platinum Champion 7570 or equal and performance wires. The Normal wires are Cranes or MOPAR, and I understand both are on back order, so what you can get at Advance or NAPA will work. There is a "sticky" under "Tech & Performance section.

Transmission: as long as you have a complete flush it will take about 22 qts, I believe. A change will be only about 4 qts and it also will use a filter.

Synthetic oil should be alright, but not sure, someone else should be answering that question.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Jul 2009, 10:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
PLugs we recommend is Platinum Champion 7570 or equal
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these plugs for a non Turbo PT and isn't a PT Cruiser a turbo model?
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 10 Jul 2009, 11:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljohnboy View Post
I purchased this car off a car lot and don't know any history on it other then the Carfax I got. So what's been done I do not know. I think I will just go ahead and change out all the stuff that should be done up to what the book says to 60k miles.
That's what I did, exactly. Bought mine at 45k and picked up the service schedule at that point right out of the book. Regarding the tranny, I bought my car with no prior maintenance records as well so I spent the $150 on the professional tranny flush. I was pretty sure the original owner didn't service the tranny previously.

I changed the plugs and wires (originals were still in it with a .057 gap) and went to synthetic oil. I got my wires from Autozone (anything is better than OEM) and went with Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.

Car is running strong and has given me no trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyerrol View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these plugs for a non Turbo PT and isn't a PT Cruiser a turbo model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
For the turbo, use copper plugs and I believe the new gap should be around .032in.
Ya, Crewzin got it. Copper for Turbos.

Last edited by Travis2k7; 10 Jul 2009 at 12:06 pm.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 01:01 am
Young Cruiser

I don't put much stock into what the carfax reads. The car is nice but disappointed at the car lot I bought it from. There was suppose to be a boot for the top but that was missing. They gave me 1 key and 1 fob and said the other set was locked away and they would get that to me today. Well, that set is missing but they did call out a locksmith and made me a new key with programming. I found a fob on ebay for 12 bucks so that's ordered. The right GT floormat is missing so I'll need to find that somewhere. I bought the plugs today, 7570's, Autozone had no wires so had to order them.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 11:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Going to try and load in a picture here. Installed new plugs and wires today, 7570 Champions and wires from Autozone, Duramax. Seems to idle smoother now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT071209.jpg (81.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 16 Jul 2009, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
No problem switching to synthetic, and I regard synthetic oil as nearly mandatory for a turbo...
The PT takes 5 quarts of oil - go to WalMart and they sell 5-quart jugs of Mobil1.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles