Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CARB cat quandary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2009, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CARB cat quandary

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) prohibits the sale of any used catalytic converter effective Jan. 1 2009. Only new converters which have been certified (aka "exempted") to be in compliance with the new regulations are allowed to be sold or installed.

You can find a list of allowed converters from here:

Subject Top Page: Aftermarket Catalytic Converters

As of today, according to the CARB list there are NO aftermarket converters certified for my PT. In fact, there are very few direct-fit converters for model years after 2000. I have a 2001 PT Limited with the 2.4L engine. According to the Engine Family code (which is found on a label affixed to the frame next to the hood latch), this engine is certified at the ULEV level and there are no matching converters. I was told by a muffler shop that only OEM converters are available for the PT. Our friendly Dodge/Chrysler dealer will (happily) sell me a new converter for $1,000 (installation is extra, of course).

I did manage to find an aftermarket converter that claims to be certified for the 2001 PT 2.4L:

2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER Discount Catalytic Converters

I will check the new "EO" number that is required to be stamped on every compliant converter (the number can be looked up here). I am worried that even if it is certified, my PT would not be compliant because it's not the same engine family (e.g., LEV vs. ULEV).

The sad part about this whole thing is that I just recently passed smog check, and there was nothing wrong with my converter. What happened since is the flexible down pipe separated from the mounting flange (see picture below). I'm wondering if the flexible down pipe couldn't be replaced by welding it back into the flange ring. But I'm not sure if that is feasible (or legal), and I was told the pipe was only available from the dealer.

Last edited by PTDoug; 12 Jul 2009 at 12:24 pm.