PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just joined, thought I'd say hello

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2009, 11:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just joined, thought I'd say hello

Hello!

I never really had any interest in cars before. My first car was a GMC Sierra Classic diesel pickup from about '82 that got passed around my uncle, step dad, and someone my step dad worked with till my parents bought it back. I had it for about a year. Next I got the boat- a Ford Crown Vic, I think it was an '84. I drove that for about a year (got rear-ended, and it died the day before my last day of high school after having some severe issues with constantly refusing to crank, and taking forever to accelerate). Next came the Ford Tempo, and oh boy did I love that car. It was from, I believe, '92 and was a manual. I had a ton of fun driving it. I was sad when, after leaving the country, I found out that the person it got sold to totaled it.

So, with my pretty lackluster experience with cars, I now have a 2005 base model Cruiser in Purple Plum Pearl, with a manual transmission. It has a few issues- it idles hard, and idles up/down up/down to the point sometimes I think it's going to die. I bought it used at about 50k miles, and it's now at 54k after almost 1.5 years of ownership. I want to look into changing the sparks and wires- Kwik Kar wants to charge 160+ for the pleasure, but I intend on getting the parts myself and doing it for a hell of a lot less.

My Cruiser also, within the last week, has started creaking on bumps. The same Kwik Kar took it for a short drive and confirmed that it was the shocks, but they said it could probably go for another 10k+ miles before that needs to be fixed. I have also noticed a couple of temperature spikes while driving. It lasts only a few seconds before it dips down again- the same Kwik Kar suggested that the thermostats could be damaged, and said that he suggested a radiator flush for 99 bucks (plus tax, I'm sure). Something else I'd like to do myself, if possible.

I'm not too keen on the color, but when I asked around about repaints, I was told at the time that it wasn't cost effective and it was better to just buy a new car of the color I wanted, than repaint. So to satisfy myself, I've been wanting to do some modding.

Enough babbling, here's some photos.

This is as-is. Right after a car wash and microfiber buff!

I changed the stock lock-pulls for something a wee bit prettier. Funny, not all of the locks sit at the same height when locked and unlocked.

BELTLINE! I liked the chrome, and I liked the multi-toned rainbow one, but went with chrome because of the color. I want to get a matching front grill cover or faker-chrome strips.

And my good-luck scarab. Wow, I just noticed the clouds reflected on the hatch!

There is a ton of stuff I want to do with it still. I want the chrome toned vinyl flames, grill cover, and front and rear lamp chrome accents. I want to change the rear lights for LED ones, and I also want the HID front lights, but have been a little confused at what I needed for those too.

But anyhoo, that's my car.

J
Old 17 Jul 2009, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just joined, thought I'd say hello

J, welcome to the Forum. If you look at the performance section you will see a "sticky" on how to change plugs & wires. That is about the first thing we suggest when someone gets a used car. Even on my new one the slight hesitation went away when I changed them around 500 miles.

How about filling in your profile so we know where in TEXAS you are located???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Jul 2009, 01:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

welcome thats is one of my fav pt colers
Old 17 Jul 2009, 01:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the madness.

The creaking on my wife's '04 was the endlink bushings on the front sway bar. I'd have those checked out before I'd let the shop put a knife in my back for several hundred dollars. At 54k I personally don't believe it is the shocks. Have another independent shop check it out first.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic

Last edited by Mean Green; 17 Jul 2009 at 01:49 pm.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 02:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styggian View Post
Hello!
I now have a 2005 base model Cruiser in Purple Plum Pearl, with a manual transmission. It has a few issues- it idles hard, and idles up/down up/down to the point sometimes I think it's going to die. I bought it used at about 50k miles, and it's now at 54k after almost 1.5 years of ownership. I want to look into changing the sparks and wires- Kwik Kar wants to charge 160+ for the pleasure, but I intend on getting the parts myself and doing it for a hell of a lot less.
Changing the plugs is a simple job... just follow the sticky thread and you can get it in 30 mins or so....

I bought mine at 45k and in addition to the plugs I had the transmission flushed... the auto tranny is a weak link. Not sure what the history is on the manuals but it may be something you want to consider if your tranny has never been serviced.

Welcome to the forums...
Old 17 Jul 2009, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Welcome to the madness.

The creaking on my wife's '04 was the endlink bushings on the front sway bar. I'd have those checked out before I'd let the shop put a knife in my back for several hundred dollars. At 54k I personally don't believe it is the shocks. Have another independent shop check it out first.
Agree.
Drive it up on ramps (rhino ramps, about $20 are the right incline) and spray all the rubber suspension points you see with silicone spray - bet it'll do it. Probably won't last long, but easy enough to do - doubt it's shocks.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jul 2009, 09:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
I want to change the rear lights for LED ones, and I also want the HID front lights, but have been a little confused at what I needed for those too.
$$$$$
Old 19 Jul 2009, 01:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

I added a little to my profile. I'm in Fort Worth, Texas.

I read through the thread on spark plugs, and want to get to that sometime soon. I just need to get the right plugs and wires, and make sure my ratchet has the right sizes. Shouldn't be a problem.

My temp gauge has also started spiking a little, so I need to get the radiator fluid checked. I'd rather do the little things that I can so I don't get charged out the rear for simple stuff that costs more in labor than parts.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 01:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Girlfriend just had a thermostat replaced on her Camry for $65 plus an hour's labor, so about $110. Courtesy of her father, which was nice..