PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fan tests ok not coming on low or high, have new relays!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2009, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default fan tests ok not coming on low or high, have new relays!

HELP HELP HELP!!

I had another thread and got a response but things seem to be working VERY different so I am starting over...

2001 PT Cruiser

History- About a month ago fan motor not running. Ac blowing warm. Code said short circuit relay slow speed fan. Bypassed and checked motor, low speed not working. Replaced fan motor and relay worked for almost a month fine.

This week- Suddenly overheating warm ac. No codes. Bypassed relays and checked new fan motor, works on both speeds. Yay. Replaced relay, this time purchased relay at dealer. Plugged in relay, everything works great for about 5 minutes! Fan comes on, ac blows cold. After 5 minutes warm ac, no fan. WTF. The new low speed radiator fan relay fixed it ALL for 5 minutes! Why does it all work suddenly with a new low speed relay then stops????? If I put in another new low speed relay the same thing would happen.

Update: I took out the new low speed relay, low speed fuse (#5), ac relay (switched with horn). Checked them and put them back in. Everything worked again! Fan came on, cold ac. 2 minutes later it all stopped........ AGAIN! Why does is all work (fan, ac) for a few minutes when I first put everything in then stop??? I'm going CRAZY! HELP!!!

Last edited by azdave; 18 Jul 2009 at 02:45 pm. Reason: update
Old 18 Jul 2009, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: fan tests ok not coming on low or high, have new relays!

You say the fan is not working after 5 minutes but is the compressor working? It could be the A/C lines are building up pressure and the pressure switch is shutting off the compressor and since the compressor isn't working, the fan shuts off.

Just a thought.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: fan tests ok not coming on low or high, have new relays!

When the fan runs, the ac blows cold. Then everything stops. Even with the ac is OFF, when the temp goes up, NO FAN.

Bypass the relays, both fan speeds run fine! I'm so confused! New low speed relay made it all run perfect for a few minutes. Decided to go out there and take out everything (relays and fuses) check and put them back in. Worked again for a few minutes everything perfect. Then nothing.

Decided to try that method again a few minutes later. Take out put back in this time did not start everything up. Again, bypassed relays FAN WORKS. Do fan motors go out intermittantly? This is less than a month old. Fuses and relays are fine. #5 has clear glass, LOOKS ok.

What the heck else could it be?

I don't think it's the compressor, since even with ac off no fan at high temps. When fan runs, ice cold ac. AC didn't work when low speed fan motor went out last month and was fine for a month ice cold until this again.

I don't think it's the fan motor, the fan works fine when bypassed.

The ac relay switched with horn works fine. The low speed relay is new (again!). The 10 v fuse is fine too.

If I buy a new low speed relay (3rd one), I can guarantee it will work for a few minutes as soon as I put it in. Then nothing. I don't get it!

Am I having problems in my PCM box? Everything else under there works. Just this fan issue, even with new relays. And sometimes if I just take them out and put them back in, everything (fan, ac) turns on perfect. But only for a couple minutes. Then fan OFF. Idles crappy when blowing warm ac with no fan. Turn off warm ac, idles fine. When it runs for those few minutes and ac is cool idles fine too.

Very confusing.

Can I test voltage where the relays and fuses go in the PCM? How many volts should I have in the relays?

Last edited by azdave; 18 Jul 2009 at 03:49 pm. Reason: edit
Old 18 Jul 2009, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, you way beyond what I know about it. I do know you can hook a scanner up and find out more than you can by bypassing things. The only problem is, it cost $$ to have the scanner hooked up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's 115 here in AZ and I can't even stand it for more than 10 minutes out there. That is not helping.

I can fix just about anything under there if I know the problem. A few more tries of trouble shooting I may be willing to pay for a diagnosis...grrrr.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: fan tests ok not coming on low or high, new relay opens and closes??

I don't know what this means..... I decided to take apart one of the relay's. It had a tiny burn spot on it. I put it in and watched it with the black box off so I could see the contacts. They were closing as soon as I turned the AC on but then every other second the contacts opened again. Then closed and kept repeating this process. No fan turned.

Then I took apart the NEW low speed relay to watch the contacts when I turned on the ac. They did the same thing. Not staying closed but opening and closing every other second, thus the fan not coming on. Shouldn't the contact in the relay stay closed as long as it is on to keep it on?
Old 18 Jul 2009, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can you read a wiring diagram. Hold on I'll be right back with one.

Old 18 Jul 2009, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes I can, I've been searching online for some. Thanks.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, It looks like to me that it's just an ON/OFF type of relay and should stay ON steadily.

Old 18 Jul 2009, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the diagram. Ok, I can see what runs what now if I want to get under there and follow it, this is helpful. What do you mean by this being an on/off type but should stay on. You're not saying I have the wrong type, right? I figured that it should stay steady on to run. My question is why isn't it? 2 of these relay's are brand new.