Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
First the Rain - then the thunder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2009, 11:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry First the Rain - then the thunder

If you read my previous post about the plugged A/C drain you already know about the rain.

Well, the thunder is that I noticed an occasional squeal from the right front and I asked the dealer about it when I left the car Friday.
Today he calls me and says that
1) car is out of warranty by 3 months (less than 30K on a 2006)
2) noise is lower control arm bushings
3) they can only replace the entire control arm as a single part number
4) he wants $1000 for the job.

Smells like a con game to me. Since it's out of warranty and this repair is coming out of my pocket, I'm going to a mechanic I know to have the work done. I'm sure that the control arms don't have to be replaced when only the bushings are bad.

I've never dealt with this dealership before, but since the local guy was one of the Chrysler cuts, had to go there. Not gonna go back, thats for sure.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 11:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: First the Rain - then the thunder

That's what I had to do. I think that replacing the entire control arm is a Chrysler con game. $1000 sounds about right. 2 control arms plus alignment cost met $1600.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 06:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Looks like it's an epidemic of control arm bushings but there is a kit you can buy rather than replace the whole control arm. Here's others with the same problem...

2003 PT Crusier control arm bushings 19k miles - Topix

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 08:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickRC3 View Post
I'm sure that the control arms don't have to be replaced when only the bushings are bad.
You're right. I just replaced the bushings on my control arms about a month ago. $35 Energy Suspension bushings from eBay, a few hours worth of work and a $40 alignment.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 02:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY

I also experience a front end creak and grind. Did replacing only the bushings do the job for you? I definately dont have $1000 or $1600 to cough up for a whole new control arm..

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Haven't taken it to my mechanic yet. Will do so in a few days and will update you on events.