Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bumper Damage--Should I purchase?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2009, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bumper Damage--Should I purchase?

I am looking at a new PT Cruise that has bumper damage. The PT Cruise was apparently damaged when the car was hit during a customer test drive. The car is new (never titled)--but wrecked. There appears to be no structural damage but the rear bumper is crushed in and has a gash in it and will need to be replaced. The car was hit in the rear end in an accident. The car was hit by another car going about 10 mph. Can the bumper be fixed and the damage completely fixed? Could there be unforseen major damage? How much discount should be taken off the price? Should I consider buying this car? Thanks.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bumper Damage--Should I purchase?

Welcome to the Forum. It is refreshing to have another new potential PT owner ask questions before buying.

Unless the frame was damaged and as long as the alignment was completed the car should be roadworthy. How will the car be titled? As a wreck? If so, you may have a problem in your state in reselling it. I would take it to a shop and have them check the alignment and do a good inspection on fit of parts, if it was just the bumper and some rear damage, it may not be a problem.

I would at the least take a third off of the list price, maybe 1/2. Remember you are doing the dealer a favor.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Jul 2009, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Never look at bumper damage as being minimal damage. You can't tell if there is damage behind the bumper until the bumper is pulled off. If you buy that car without getting it checked out you could be driving around a car with a rear bumper that is safety compromised. My wife's '04 got hit in the back leaving an indention in the bumper the size of a golf ball. There was structual damage behind the bumper to the tune of $800.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Jul 2009, 03:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Replacing the bumper cover is cheap and easy. Replacing what lurks behind it can be a different story. Ask friends, family and co-workers for the name of a reputable body shop. Take the car there and see what they say. If the dealership won't let you do this, walk away from the deal. I would also be interested in knowing what kind of title it would come with. A salvage title is fine if you intend on keeping the car for it's lifetime but few people do that.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 05:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man View Post
Replacing the bumper cover is cheap and easy. Replacing what lurks behind it can be a different story. Ask friends, family and co-workers for the name of a reputable body shop. Take the car there and see what they say. If the dealership won't let you do this, walk away from the deal. I would also be interested in knowing what kind of title it would come with. A salvage title is fine if you intend on keeping the car for it's lifetime but few people do that.
as above see if dealer will let you take to a body shop of your choice so you can find out whats is real behind the bumper
if there a honest dealer thay will as it means a sale for them and if thay say no just walk away as if car was just lightly knock thay would be fixing it them selfs
i hope its a ok car for you
Old 26 Jul 2009, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not just a body shop, but have a mechanic carefully examine the transmission - a shot like that can't do the transmission any good.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles