Advertisements
Quarter Panel Window Help!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By crazymeg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2009, 08:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Quarter Panel Window Help!

Hi all. I have an 02 Cruiser and I have an issue.

My husband had just just shut the back passenger door on the drivers side when he noticed the small window on that side was just barely hanging on!

All of the weather stripping was dry-rotted and peeled right off. (I have attached a picture as when I tried to describe it to someone else, they thought I was crazy!)

Question is: Can the stripping just be replaced?

I have looked everywhere online and cannot find an answer! HELP!

~Meg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.JPG (42.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 27 Jul 2009, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Quarter Panel Window Help!

Meg, there was a recall for my 2006 that they had to replace either the weatherstrip or 1/4 window, I forget which. I'd head right to the dealer to see what is available.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Jul 2009, 08:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wow! Good thing you caught that at home before the wind caught it on the highway. I don't see anything for the '02 cars for recalls on that quarter glass but it can't hurt to go check with the dealer anyway.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 05:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
If you get nowhere with dealer, suggest you try a good body shop.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Jul 2009, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

dealer was a bust. They didn't have a recall so they didn't want to fix it for free. They were going to charge me $80 just to put it back in. Went to window shop next. They were going to charge $60 but the guy there said we could fix it ourselves for about 20. Told us to get 3M windo-weld at local parts store. Cleaned off all the old sealant, and then ran a bead of the stuff around the window. Went on nicely and stuck immediately. Got to let it dry for 24 hours, but it looks like it worked!

Thanks for all the help!
OurPTGT and rcktpwrd like this.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 08:44 pm
Banned

My '06 Touring Edition developed a leak in the R/R quarter window. I had my vehicle at the dealership body shop for some other work and wanted the leak fixed while they had my vehicle. They removed the window, which requires a fair amount of interior trim removal to access the mounting nuts that hold the window in place, there are (5). They discovered that all the mounting studs had broken from the molding surrounding the window. The molding and window are one piece. I have included a picture of one of the crushed studs, but all (5) were similarly broken. The window had to be replaced at a cost of almost $350. I started to search the internet and found the recall. My vehicle was exactly 10,000 vehicles outside the recall so Chrysler refused to fix the other window or reimburse me for the one that I had paid for. I was concerned that the L/R window was also defective so I paid the body shop to replace that one as well. These windows had been known to separate from the vehicle, possibly causing damage to pedestrians or other vehicles. Again, after removal, the body shop discovered that this window also had broken mounts. Both windows were saved for me for a pending lawsuit. During this process, I had contacted Chrysler Customer Assistance numerous times, but they would never budge. Chrysler never would release any information on what the recall addressed. I maintained that either they changed the mounting design or the torque wrench at the factory when the windows had been installed was set incorrectly crushing the mounting studs and surrounding moulding, and that the recall should probably cover more vehicles. I had to end up filing a small claims lawsuit, but in the end, I received a reimbursement check from Chrysler for the almost $700 that I was out of pocket.

Last edited by rckstein; 22 Aug 2012 at 08:53 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 02:21 am
Cool Cruiser

The dealer was right unfortunately.

"2005-06: The rear quarter glass attaching fasteners may pull through their mounts and allow the glass to separate from the vehicle. Dealers will replace the rear quarter glass."

Not for the 2002. Still though, I would think if they were all done the same way the fault would be on all models?