Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
US vs Import Model. Difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to paradox63 Send a message via MSN to paradox63 Send a message via Yahoo to paradox63
Default US vs Import Model. Difference?

I just called to get a price on a camshaft position sensor for my 2004 PT Cruiser. They tell me that if mine is a US model the part is $56. If it is an Import model the part is $168. What is the difference? $112 seems like a very big difference to me. My PT Cruiser happens to be the Import model. VIN Begins with a 3.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:45 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: US vs Import Model. Difference?

Interesting. Are cam sensors prone to going bad? Because I am getting ready to head out and pick up my POS in a little bit. When I got the "It's ready!" call, I was told that my share of the cost is $200, for the spark plugs & wires and the cam sensor. What happens if there is a bad cam sensor and you put in a new engine without replacing it? Would it make the new engine go bad?
Old 31 Jul 2009, 12:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Where are you located? If you are in the US then it's not imported. More likely the difference is SBEC or NGC. 04 was the change and it was a running change. Where is the crank sensor located? If it is on the backside of the engine then it is SBEC. If the crank sensor is on the frontside then it is NGC.
All PT's are made in Mexico. Imported means it went to somewhere other than US.
If I where you I would go to the dealership and get the part. That way you know for sure it is right. Also you get 12/12 warranty and free replacement in that 12/12. May cost a little more but worth it!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 12:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCRUZR View Post
What happens if there is a bad cam sensor and you put in a new engine without replacing it? Would it make the new engine go bad?

RNCRUZR,

The cam position sensor keeps tabs on exactly where in the four stroke revolution pattern the engine and valve train is so the engine control module can "tell" the injectors exactly when to fire. It is one of many inputs to the engine computer that affects how the PT runs. Without a signal from the CPS the computer does not know when to fire the injectors so it does not fire them at all.

You can guess what happens if you have a bad one. It doesn't hurt the engine if it's bad, you just don't go anywhere.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 04:43 pm
Young Cruiser

So I wonder if that was what was causing my engine to die momentarily when the "check engine" light came on during my trip back to Seattle?

Edit: Sorry about the thread drift, I will take it over to my POS thread.

Last edited by RNCRUZR; 31 Jul 2009 at 04:56 pm.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 04:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
All PT's are made in Mexico..
Not true, the European Cruisers are made in Austria!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
So I wonder if that was what was causing my engine to die momentarily when the "check engine" light came on during my trip back to Seattle?

If the Check Engine light came on then there should have been a code between P0340 - P0344 to say there was something wrong in the Camshaft circuit.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 04:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Back on topic here - my new cam sensor cost $136. I don't know if my POS is an import or not, since it has DRLs, could it possibly a Canadian model? It was originally purchased in WA state.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Back on topic here - my new cam sensor cost $136. I don't know if my POS is an import or not, since it has DRLs, could it possibly a Canadian model? It was originally purchased in WA state.

The U.S. cruisers don't have the DRL's. Also, as someone else pointed out, I think your VIN will be totally different from the U.S. model. Mine starts with: 3C8FYBB11....... First number 1 or 4 is U.S.A., 2 = Canada, 3 = Mexico, J - Japan, K = Korea

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jul 2009 at 05:15 pm.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 05:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Mine starts with a 3, which makes sense since it was made in Mexico. Maybe made in Mexico for the Canadian market?