Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Limited fog lights don't work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2009, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Limited fog lights don't work

New here...any suggestions would be appreciated. Wife got her PT a few weeks ago and we've been going through it. This has the fog light control on the steering column, but they don't work, and where there is supposed to be a fuse, there is no place for it under the dash according to the fuse layout diagram on the back of the cover. If it has the control and the lights, shouldn't the fog light option be active? Is there a connection point I need to tie together or plug in, or do you think the fogs are missing a ground? I have a heck of a time getting under the front end of these low-to-the-ground cars. Thanks for any help.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Limited fog lights don't work

Welcome to the forum.

You don't say what year you PT is and it makes a difference. If it's between 01 and 05 the #8 fuse is for the fog lights. If someone took it out it's because of a bad multi-function switch (the one that controls the lights). They tend to burn out and either the fog lights will stay on all the time or the switch will start to smoke.

If your PT is newer, there's no fuses in the interior of the car and none of the listings for the fuse panel in the engine compartment say they are for the fog lights, BUT the problem with them not coming on is probably the same as before: a mad multi-function switch.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

BUT the problem with them not coming on is probably the same as before: a mad multi-function switch

Not only is it mad, but probably is bad as well.

Welcome to the Forum, redrider02

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Aug 2009, 04:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yea some get so mad smoke rolls of them
Old 02 Aug 2009, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay folks....thanks. I'm going to check into that #8 fuse first. The dash pull out for the fuse compartment showed #27 for the fogs, and the fuse box didn't have a slot over #24 if I remember right. Bad multi-function switch? I hope not. What is it with Chrysler and gadgets that are attached to the steering columns anyway? I'll check back later and let y'all know what I find.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure what "dash pull-out" your looking at. The 2001 has the interior fuse box by your left knee and the fuse listing is on the inside of the cover. There's only 20 fuses so I'm not sure where you are reading #27. As I said, the fog light fuse is #8.

There's fuse box in the engine compartment also but there's only 22 fuses/relays in that one.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Aug 2009 at 06:21 pm.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, my bad...the #27 fuse listing was in a diagram in the owner's manual. But yes, it has interior fuse box. You'll have to bear with me here. As it turns out....you were right on the money with the #8 fuse. When i opened the compartment the #8 fuse was missing....now we both know why, because there is a short in the multi-position switch apparently. The second I plugged a 20a fuse in #8, they came on and wont go off unless I wiggle the column switch all without turning the ignition on or inserting the key. So....I'm suggesting my wife take it back to the dealer and get it fixed under her warranty.
I'm glad to have found an active vehicle forum on this issue, and the quick help is much appreciated.

I could tell you some more stories about the multi-brand dealership where she bought this from. She took it for a test drive before she bought it, and it overheated on her. She called me that day, and I told her that it may very well be that they mixed anti-freeze during a once over to sell, and the mixture jelled inside the radiator. Turned out to be true, and they took three days, sent to Chrysler dealer for a flush and new radiator. This is what I'm (we) are dealing with here, so I'll be sticking around until we get any issues ironed out on this baby. My wife loves it, and I love riding in it, and I care for my (our) vehicles, and I'm able to do anything it takes to get things right. I also know full well the worth of vehicle forums like these and the knowledgeable and experienced members. DIY and help saves money and keeps your ride in good shape. Resources are good, and I'm glad I found this one. I'd buy you all a beer, but it may be too far to drive for some. I'll just say give yourselves a pat on the back for me, and I'll be ready to help out when and if I can. Thanks.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd buy you all a beer, but it may be too far to drive for some.

So where are you located? I checked your profile and it isn't filled out

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Aug 2009, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: 2001 Limited fog lights don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I'd buy you all a beer, but it may be too far to drive for some.

So where are you located? I checked your profile and it isn't filled out
I'm guessing that's something I haven't looked into doing as first order of business. My bad........Arkansas...northwest to be exact. Springdale/Fayetteville area. I'll try to do better from now on. I don't do many forums in the v-bulletin format, and I can't seem to find a place to post my location. I thought I was savy, but I'm probably just getting old.

Last edited by redrider02; 02 Aug 2009 at 10:14 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2009, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider02 View Post
I'm guessing that's something I haven't looked into doing as first order of business. My bad........Arkansas...northwest to be exact. Springdale/Fayetteville area. I'll try to do better from now on. I don't do many forums in the v-bulletin format, and I can't seem to find a place to post my location. I thought I was savy, but I'm probably just getting old.
Old, old, I'm 70 and am on a couple of Forums. I have a laptop and a Desktop.