PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BackUp Camera Installation ?

 
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2009, 10:20 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Default BackUp Camera Installation ?

New Here ... Just brought PT home and cannot backup out of driveway safely.
Am a widow ... no handy man .... how do I hook up VR3 wireless backup camera to back up light ..... the nearest electrical contact ??
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2009, 11:59 am
Hooligan's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,023
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Welcome to the Forum. To answer your question, I would tap into the reverse lamp wires.
__________________

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2009, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Hi ... When I pop the the light lens from the outside .... will I find a way in
the back to ""thread"" a wire through and connect through the license plate and under the bumper ?? Is the reverse wire a special color ?? Thank You for helping. K
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Aug 2009, 02:39 pm
Hooligan's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,023
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADora22 View Post
Hi ... When I pop the the light lens from the outside .... will I find a way in
the back to ""thread"" a wire through and connect through the license plate and under the bumper ?? Is the reverse wire a special color ?? Thank You for helping. K
I think the best thing is to tap in outside of the lens housing before the lamp assy. I have no idea on the wire color so can't help you there.
__________________

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2011, 06:35 pm
dsmturbo's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria BC, Canada
Posts: 230
Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Did you ever get your backup camera installed? I am wanting to do the same on my PT. It appears the backup wiring is purple/black. I might be able to tap in to it from driveer's tail light access. But unsure of how to run cable to camera on rear plate, may have to drill access hole.
Anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2011, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,324
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Be careful, that wiring seems to change colors over the years. Personally, if I'm not doing anything too tough, I'd put a cig lighter plug on the end and plug that puppy into the outlet in back, but that's just the easy way out of it. There is a very easy to penetrate rubber stopper in the well above your spare tire, that is a great place to push the wires through. And there is a way to hook it to your backup lights, but forgive me as I'm in Florida for training and away from my puter, hopefully someone can verify the wiring. Me, I took the plastic surround off the lower part of the trunk hatch opening, ran my wires up from underneath and just pulled them under the carpeting to the right side where my tire jack is located. In there I tapped into my backup light wiring, but been too long to say specifically which wires.

Oh, and I drilled a hole right above the plate and ran my wires through there to the spare tire area, then filled the hole with silicone sealer. Works great.

At the bottom of this picture you can see where I mounted the display for it.

Last edited by Chromenut; 03 May 2011 at 08:44 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2011, 11:18 am
Excoastie's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 192
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

if you've got a meter, finding out which wires you need shouldn't be too difficult. Pop out the socket for the reverse light bulb, trace the wires to find out which wire goes to which socket, then without starting the vehicle (and making sure that the parking brake is set) place the car in reverse, this should light up your reverse lights.

place the black lead on the meter on a good unpainted spot on the frame (the tie down spot under the bumper on the right side should work well for you) and very carefully, making sure to only touch one contact at time touch each contact with the red lead. while you're doing this watch the display on your meter. You should read about 12V when you find the correct wire. Once you've found it, you should be able to fairly easily tap in to it, and run the wires as described above.

good luck and let us know if you have any more questions

Exco
__________________
I tend to ramble and repeat myself, please try to over look my ignorance.


Bill
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2011, 12:19 pm
RedPT07's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 123
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

There is a guy @ mp3car.com "Zapwizard" from Austin, TX that install an Apple mini with backup camera, see the link below.

2006 PT Cruiser -Mac Mini
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2011, 07:40 pm
dsmturbo's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria BC, Canada
Posts: 230
Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Be careful, that wiring seems to change colors over the years. Personally, if I'm not doing anything too tough, I'd put a cig lighter plug on the end and plug that puppy into the outlet in back, but that's just the easy way out of it. There is a very easy to penetrate rubber stopper in the well above your spare tire, that is a great place to push the wires through. And there is a way to hook it to your backup lights, but forgive me as I'm in Florida for training and away from my puter, hopefully someone can verify the wiring. Me, I took the plastic surround off the lower part of the trunk hatch opening, ran my wires up from underneath and just pulled them under the carpeting to the right side where my tire jack is located. In there I tapped into my backup light wiring, but been too long to say specifically which wires.

Oh, and I drilled a hole right above the plate and ran my wires through there to the spare tire area, then filled the hole with silicone sealer. Works great.

At the bottom of this picture you can see where I mounted the display for it.
Thanks Chromenut, I'll do a test with meter to make sure I get wiring correct. And I'll try and run it up from under rear. I probably will mount the camera on rear plate. I don't know how good it would display if I mounter it inside behind rear glass
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2011, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPT07 View Post
There is a guy @ mp3car.com "Zapwizard" from Austin, TX that install an Apple mini with backup camera, see the link below.

2006 PT Cruiser -Mac Mini
Hey thanks for the link
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors