PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BackUp Camera Installation ?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2009, 10:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default BackUp Camera Installation ?

New Here ... Just brought PT home and cannot backup out of driveway safely.
Am a widow ... no handy man .... how do I hook up VR3 wireless backup camera to back up light ..... the nearest electrical contact ??
Old 04 Aug 2009, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: BackUp Camera Installation ?

Welcome to the Forum. To answer your question, I would tap into the reverse lamp wires.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Aug 2009, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi ... When I pop the the light lens from the outside .... will I find a way in
the back to ""thread"" a wire through and connect through the license plate and under the bumper ?? Is the reverse wire a special color ?? Thank You for helping. K
Old 04 Aug 2009, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADora22 View Post
Hi ... When I pop the the light lens from the outside .... will I find a way in
the back to ""thread"" a wire through and connect through the license plate and under the bumper ?? Is the reverse wire a special color ?? Thank You for helping. K
I think the best thing is to tap in outside of the lens housing before the lamp assy. I have no idea on the wire color so can't help you there.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 May 2011, 06:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

Did you ever get your backup camera installed? I am wanting to do the same on my PT. It appears the backup wiring is purple/black. I might be able to tap in to it from driveer's tail light access. But unsure of how to run cable to camera on rear plate, may have to drill access hole.
Anyone?
Old 03 May 2011, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Be careful, that wiring seems to change colors over the years. Personally, if I'm not doing anything too tough, I'd put a cig lighter plug on the end and plug that puppy into the outlet in back, but that's just the easy way out of it. There is a very easy to penetrate rubber stopper in the well above your spare tire, that is a great place to push the wires through. And there is a way to hook it to your backup lights, but forgive me as I'm in Florida for training and away from my puter, hopefully someone can verify the wiring. Me, I took the plastic surround off the lower part of the trunk hatch opening, ran my wires up from underneath and just pulled them under the carpeting to the right side where my tire jack is located. In there I tapped into my backup light wiring, but been too long to say specifically which wires.

Oh, and I drilled a hole right above the plate and ran my wires through there to the spare tire area, then filled the hole with silicone sealer. Works great.

At the bottom of this picture you can see where I mounted the display for it.

Last edited by Chromenut; 03 May 2011 at 08:44 pm.
Old 04 May 2011, 11:18 am
Regular Cruiser

if you've got a meter, finding out which wires you need shouldn't be too difficult. Pop out the socket for the reverse light bulb, trace the wires to find out which wire goes to which socket, then without starting the vehicle (and making sure that the parking brake is set) place the car in reverse, this should light up your reverse lights.

place the black lead on the meter on a good unpainted spot on the frame (the tie down spot under the bumper on the right side should work well for you) and very carefully, making sure to only touch one contact at time touch each contact with the red lead. while you're doing this watch the display on your meter. You should read about 12V when you find the correct wire. Once you've found it, you should be able to fairly easily tap in to it, and run the wires as described above.

good luck and let us know if you have any more questions

Exco

Bill
Old 04 May 2011, 12:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

There is a guy @ mp3car.com "Zapwizard" from Austin, TX that install an Apple mini with backup camera, see the link below.

2006 PT Cruiser -Mac Mini
Old 04 May 2011, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Be careful, that wiring seems to change colors over the years. Personally, if I'm not doing anything too tough, I'd put a cig lighter plug on the end and plug that puppy into the outlet in back, but that's just the easy way out of it. There is a very easy to penetrate rubber stopper in the well above your spare tire, that is a great place to push the wires through. And there is a way to hook it to your backup lights, but forgive me as I'm in Florida for training and away from my puter, hopefully someone can verify the wiring. Me, I took the plastic surround off the lower part of the trunk hatch opening, ran my wires up from underneath and just pulled them under the carpeting to the right side where my tire jack is located. In there I tapped into my backup light wiring, but been too long to say specifically which wires.

Oh, and I drilled a hole right above the plate and ran my wires through there to the spare tire area, then filled the hole with silicone sealer. Works great.

At the bottom of this picture you can see where I mounted the display for it.
Thanks Chromenut, I'll do a test with meter to make sure I get wiring correct. And I'll try and run it up from under rear. I probably will mount the camera on rear plate. I don't know how good it would display if I mounter it inside behind rear glass
Old 05 May 2011, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPT07 View Post
There is a guy @ mp3car.com "Zapwizard" from Austin, TX that install an Apple mini with backup camera, see the link below.

2006 PT Cruiser -Mac Mini
Hey thanks for the link