Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
RIDDLE ME THIS??? WHY CANT CHRYSLER?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2009, 02:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default RIDDLE ME THIS??? WHY CANT CHRYSLER?

I just test drove a Nissan Cube for my daughter---$19K very well equipped & really thought out insidenot a bad ride!-(very different like the PT was when it came out) designed for the younger group but the salesman stated like the PT- older folks are buying as fast as they arrive!( MPG is 28city 30 Highway)ok why cant the PT get this MPG & why cant we just improve what we started??? Im confused thanks MJB
Old 05 Aug 2009, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross
Default Re: RIDDLE ME THIS??? WHY CANT CHRYSLER?

Chrysler mismanaged the PT that's all there is too it =/

Why fix what already sells well

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 05 Aug 2009 at 02:51 pm.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you really want a PT, get a manual transmission to get similar numbers on the highway but not quite as good in the city. If your daughter doesn't know how to drive a stick, teach her. I believe it's something everyone should learn. It's like riding a bike, you never forget how to do it once you learn. That and it'll make her pay attention to her driving.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 06:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully Fiat will bring some cars like the 500 that are what we need.
The PT needs a diet...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Aug 2009, 09:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Why can't they get the mpg? First the design, it's as aerodynamic as a brick, and is pretty heavy. Second, the car/engine/transmission was designed in the late 1990's, a decade ago. What was the price of gas back then?

srg
Old 05 Aug 2009, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Second, the car/engine/transmission was designed in the late 1990's, a decade ago.
It goes further back than that. It's not all that far off the engine in the Neon and that started in '95. If you really want to get picky, there's a lot of similarities to the 2.2/2.5 and that's over 25 years old. It's not so much the engine that's inefficient as it is the transmission. 5-speed Neon drivers can knock down mid-high 30's, 5-speed PT drivers regularly get low 30's. My wife's '90 Acclaim with the 2.5 and an auto gets roughly 25 on the highway while a friend's turbo Daytona with the 2.2 and a 5-speed gets mid-30's.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: RIDDLE ME THIS??? WHY CANT CHRYSLER?

Excuse.......... ME!
Since when does anyone believe the sticker mileage???
#1 - Sorry! But the "cube" is just really butt ugly! But, they do have a really nice color selection.
#2 - I get 30 mpg in soonercruiser on the highway! And, she was only $15,600 when i bought her!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 06 Aug 2009, 06:09 am
Cool Cruiser

i agree, the cube looks like crap, and why dont they make a hybrid cruiser? that might be a cool thing to make. i'd buy it when it came out lol.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 02:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Slayer is correct,the cube is weird to look at, when it comes to the cruiser its like my art work .if I have to explain it you wouldnt understand.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 03:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I purchased my '01 about 2 years ago, gas mileage wasn't even in my mind as a requirement. I had wanted one since they came out. I had a co worker who had one and every day when her husband would pick her up in it, I wanted it to be mine. They complained about it not being quick enough and they did have the chrome wheel problem where they had to replace a wheel and I heard about that for months. Still, I wanted one. So when I found a used one, I brought it right on the spot. It's not perfect and needs some work but its mine and I enjoy driving it, that is I will again when I can get the alternator replaced (probably in a week or two).

Mines an auto and plenty quick on take off, as well as on the highway, for me. I can drive a manual just fine but prefer the automatic. I just can't see myself trying to drive, shift and talk on my two way radio all at the same time. Gas mileage, I don't know how all of you can get accurate enough to know your getting 25 or 27 or whatever. One week I'll get 25 MPG and the next it will be 19 MPG. Most weeks I don't do any more than a causal glance at how many gallons versus number of miles for the week.

Oh by the way, I have no problems with the looks of the Nissan Cube. If I was looking for that type of vehicle, I'd buy one.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324