Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'03 Cruiser is P.O.S.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2009, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry '03 Cruiser is P.O.S.

I purchased (well, was put in a situation where i had to get one) a '03 Cruiser 2.0L non Turbo about 1yr 8mos ago. it ran great for the first 9 mos. when i got it it had 72k miles on it. it has 91k now. in February i was driving down the interstate when it just stopped running completely. had it towed to the shop, and the problem was my timing belt broke and ruined it. i had to end up getting a new timing belt assembly, and since they were down there i had them replace the water pump. it was about $750 dollars. well, it ran good for a month and then one morning my fiance went to start it and it wouldnt turn. randomly it will not start. the engine light is on now. the fuel gauge will not work at all, always empty. so we just parked it until yesterday. and the air had quit working also (found out about it yesterday when we went to drive to the mechanic). he hooked his code machine to it and it read: bad crankshaft posititoning sensor, low fuel level sensor. we lifted it up and noticed an electrical plug had been broken off going to the a/c. when they had fixed my timing belt assembly/water pump, they broke it off and never fixed it (when you pick up your car in the winter you dont run the air, hence us just finding out about it). we fixed that, then spent 3 hours looking for the crankshaft positioning sensor... AND NEVER FOUND IT!!! we had two different people tell us it was in two different places. i have the manual for the '03 Cruiser i got online and i cant find anywhere where it shows where that thing is. this car is good, but when it comes to repairing anything that breaks on it it costs alot b/c everything is so compact in it and its just a pain to work on. can anyone on here point me in the right direction as to where the crankshaft positioning sensor is located? i would greatly appreciate it. really need this car up and running........ gatorfan1
Old 08 Aug 2009, 10:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: '03 Cruiser is P.O.S.

On an '02, the crankshaft position sensor is on the back side of the engine block above the oil filter. Hope this helps.
Old 09 Aug 2009, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: '03 Cruiser is P.O.S.

thanks for the reply. we checked right above it on the block but saw nothing. farther up we saw one, i believe it was actually green (hard to tell w/o taking ALOT of stuff apart to get to it), but we want to be sure before i start handin out money. that was one of the places one person told us it was. ill see if thats it. need it runnin b/c im in a county in the state of georgia that you need to get emissions to get your yearly tag. but with the check engine light on, it wont pass. have 2 kids, and the other vehicle is an '89 chevy truck with a 350 in it. not good on gas, or space. plus the starter is goin out on it..... wish me luck
Old 09 Aug 2009, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You didn't fill out your profile and started off by saying you have a 2.0L non turbo and they don't make them in the U.S., only overseas. The U.S. models are all 2.4L.

1wedwudy is correct in saying it's above the oil filter. Here's what it looks like.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 10:08 am
Young Cruiser

I feel your pain...
Old 10 Aug 2009, 12:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan1 View Post
im in a county in the state of georgia that you need to get emissions to get your yearly tag.
Gator fans in Georgia aren't a good thing.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 02:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to BigRob211
Question Re: '03 Cruiser is P.O.S.

Hey CREWZIN's where is that part located on an 2003 Steel Blue Pt. Cruiser 2.4 Liter Turbo?
Old 15 Dec 2010, 03:35 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: '03 Cruiser is P.O.S.

Hey their BigRob211,

Welcome to the Forum.

This is a pretty big PDF File so it may take a few to load but here is the complete Shop Manual for the 2003, all 2052 pages in full. Should have everything you might need and then some. Just click the Link and enjoy.

http://webdev1.net/hosted/documents/...shopmanual.pdf

Hopefully that points you in the right direction.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing