PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Ignition Problems

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2009, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Ignition Problems

I have a 2002 Cruiser that refused to start one day. I took the steering column apart, and the ignition cylinder out. What I found is that in between the ignition cylinder and ignition switch there is a spring loaded plastic piece incased in soft metal that had busted, making the key unable to turn the ignition switch. The only problem is I don't know the name of this piece. Anyone that can help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 13 Aug 2009, 06:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Ignition Problems

I believe the part you talking about is the CLOCK SPRING.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 11:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help crewzin,
But it is actually the piece in front of the clock spring. It is made up of soft metal and holds the ignition lock cylinder
Old 16 Aug 2009, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, maybe one of these photos will help...

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 11:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: 2002 PT Ignition Problems

Help!!! I just bought a 2002 cruiser at a car lot. Runs great, but a couple of problems. The key will come out of the ignition while in park, drive, reverse, ect. It also loosens or jiggles out, cause the lights to go out in the radio. If I push it back in the lights come back on. One other problem, the engine light came on when I was messing with the interior fuses. Can this be reset, or do you think there are problems.?
Old 12 Apr 2015, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatptcruiser View Post
Help!!! I just bought a 2002 cruiser at a car lot. Runs great, but a couple of problems. The key will come out of the ignition while in park, drive, reverse, ect. It also loosens or jiggles out, cause the lights to go out in the radio. If I push it back in the lights come back on. One other problem, the engine light came on when I was messing with the interior fuses. Can this be reset, or do you think there are problems.?
The best thing to do is to get an OBDII Scan Tool from Harbor Freight or eBay and find out what the engine trouble codes are. The OBDII Scan Tool can reset the engine trouble codes. Its hard to determine what happened when you were working on the interior fuses. Let us know what engine trouble codes are and then reset the codes with the scan tool. See if the codes come back.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 11:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2002 PT Ignition Problems

Quote:
The key will come out of the ignition while in park, drive, reverse, ect..
That's normally a sign that the 'Shift Interlock Cable' is worn or out of adjustment,and/or the 'Shift Interlock Solenoid' needs to be replaced.

PT_Shift_Interlock (2).jpg
Quote:
It also loosens or jiggles out, cause the lights to go out in the radio. If I push it back in the lights come back on.
Might want to replace the 'Ignition Cylinder',but more than likely the plastic pin is worn down inside the 'Ignition Switch Actuator'.....It doesn't sound like the pin has 'broken' into pieces yet,because it'd leave you stranded,and unable to start at all if it was.

PT_ignitionswitchpin.jpg

Since the 'plastic' actuator pin breaking is a fairly common problem,some have even gotten 'creative' with repairs.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i cured the problem permanently on my car. - i made my own. the steering wheel no longer locks, but i know for sure that piece will never fail. it's been a year now, i've never had an issue and i've never worried about it again.

rob342 likes this.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 07:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey, Randy good to see ya.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Apr 2015, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have an 02 PT and I go to start it and it feels like it would just spin, I get nothing like its going to start, i purchased a new ignition,but that does the same thing?/ anyhelp
Old 29 Apr 2015, 06:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcrazy View Post
I have an 02 PT and I go to start it and it feels like it would just spin, I get nothing like its going to start, i purchased a new ignition,but that does the same thing?/ anyhelp
You mean "Ignition actuator"? You bought this?Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Assembly