PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Coolant help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:39 am
Young Cruiser

Default Coolant help.

Going ahead with my DIY maintainances. I am going to drain the radiator. I can see red coolant in the plastic container under the hood. Would that be the 5 Year 100,000 coolant. Want to ask for the right coolant when I go to the parts house. 2001 38,000 miles, I would like the put the right stuff in it the first time. Also what thermostate would I ask for. Andy
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant help.

I drained out that red stuff, filled the system with distilled water, ran the car until the thermostat opened (check your gauge, you'll know) for a few minutes and let it cool. I did this another time and put in generic green stuff that's cheaper and easier to come by. Measure how much water you drain out of the system and compare it to the capacity (7.4 quarts). Mix it as you see fit (I use 50/50).

Stock thermostat (195˚) is fine.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 05:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

I won't risk myself by using something else than HOAT coolant in the PT, sorry.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 06:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'll take my chances. I've never had a problem using regular coolant in any other vehicle I've ever owned. I change it out every other year and call it good. But if it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and use the stuff only available from a dealer. I don't know if it's formulated anything like GM's Dexcool but that stuff is absolutely horrific on aluminum. It's amazing some of the GM intakes I've seen that are so badly pitted they won't even seal anymore.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.

Last edited by mopar_man; 14 Aug 2009 at 06:42 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 06:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Dexcool is OAT coolant while Chrysler uses HOAT coolant.

If you're about to change your regular green stuff every year, I don't see where's the economy.

Each his own but I'd stay with the recommended product.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I won't risk myself by using something else than HOAT coolant in the PT, sorry.
Totally correct. It has to be HOAT or you'll kill the insides of the engine and radiator.

Changing it every other year is a waste of money but, if it makes you feel better......

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 31 Aug 2009, 06:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm going to use the HOAT stuff because I'm chicken, however, I think it's a scam by Chrysler. This isn't the only motor on the planet that is aluminum or has an aluminum head on a cast iron block .. Something is really, really fishy here ... I'm waiting for someone to do a post with a PT with a million miles that's been using the green stuff all of it's life.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 06:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Use whatever is recommended....

You need to be sure the system will not scale. Aluminum and the wrong mixture/chemical can create deposits from the heat generated from the head or block. In time, it will become acidic and literally eat though aluminum.

I have seen this happen to BMW's and rotary engine coolant parts. But, since the PT is mostly plastic (i think), it probably would be fine....probably....

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

you must use the Chrysler Pt Coolant. It has sodium silicate in it to seal any potential leaks from the head gasket and is chemically balanced to eliminate corrosion between the block and the head. DO NOT use the green stuff...it is totally not compatible.......this from a PT with a big bill for using incorrect coolant.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Always been a, dump in a gallon of the cheapest green stuff I can find and top off with tap water and I'm good to go sorta guy. After replacing the water pump on the PT ... no more. The previous owner had apparently used DexCool and the system was an absolute mess. It was so bad, I'm just guessing DexCool. Though it may have been that he and I just hadn't changed it for 110k mi. I doubt it was that because the factory fill should have lasted that long with no problems.

After considerable research into coolants; I am a convert to the HOAT technology 100%. So much so that I am going to switch out all my vehicles not under warranty to it; despite some even recommending DexCool. Even the Mopar HOAT is made by Valvolene under the Zerex brand. It is called G-05 and seems to be sold at NAPA among other places. I also have recently caved to mixing with distilled water.

I now consider this even more important than my choice of oil. Coolant chemistry is vastly different one type to another where as oils are not that different even conventional to synthetic. Also if you go with the 5 yr 150,000 mi regimen, coolant is really cheap per mile even if ridiculous per gallon......

If you value your water pump, the possibility of the silicates precipitating out will make you avoid the green stuff and if you value plastic and iron parts you will avoid DexCool. You're pretty much left with the recommended HOAT chemistry ( G-05 or the Mopar branded, expensive equivalent). Not nearly that simple as you will see if you spend hrs in research, but enough for me to make a decision.

Edit: just finished the job and none too soon. The coolant looked rusty and had lost it's green color; don't really know why. I used Zerex G-05 (HOAT) but had a lot of trouble finding it. NAPA had Zerex but not G-05, Auto Zone, Pep Boys and Advance Auto didn't have any Zerex at all. I finally found it at Crown at $12.95 a gallon ... I wonder what the dealer charges?

Edit: Just read the shop manual's discussion of coolant. Obviously written by Chrysler but it will absolutely convince you to use the right stuff. I wish I could cut and paste from Adobe, but I can't. Mercedes has been using the HOAT technology for many years, Chrysler since 2001 and now Ford uses it as well along with several others. As far as I can tell, the Chrysler, Ford etc coolant is identical to and likely made by the Valvolene/Zerex version, G-05. It seems to be the consensus here to use it and for good reason; I'll never use anything but and I recommend you read the shop manual's discussion if you don't.

Last edited by Mal; 16 Sep 2009 at 08:43 pm.