Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instrument Cluster Light Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Instrument Cluster Light Problem

Tonight I went out and turned on my headlights in my 05 GT, and the cluster lights did not turn on. There were also no lights on the HVAC or window switches. The Odometer and trouble lights (oil, battery, check engine, etc) all work. The headlights and other interior lights work correctly.
I checked fuses, and they seem fine. Perhaps it is a switch or relay.

Here's what I do know. When I turn on the headlights there is this loud sound, like a light saber hum coming from behind the cluster. It changes frequency slightly after it is on for a second and when the light is switched through the other settings.

The cluster dimmer still dims the odometer reading.

I am assuming this is a fairly major issue? Or, I should say costly. The car only has 50,000km. Kinda silly. Also, my 90day warranty ran out last week.

Thank you in advance for any insight everyone may have.
Shawn
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy
Default Re: Instrument Cluster Light Problem

Are you sure you didn't turn the thing in the middle of the stalk that turns the lights on? When I first got my 05 GT the dash lights were off and I turned that thing all the way until the dome light came on then backed off 1 click. If you back it off more then the dash gets dimmer.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

positive, as I said, the Odometer still dims with the dimmer switch, all the dome lights come on properly. There are no other lights besides the warning lights and the Odo on the dash, HVAC, windows, etc. It can't be bulbs, at least not all of them. I don't see how it is the dimmer, seeing as it dims the Odometer properly. It could be the switch?
Also it makes that light saber frequency modulation when the lights or fog lights are turned on that it never made before.
Perhaps its a switch or rheostat?

Anyone else have this problem? Was there a fix? Is this perhaps a recall issue?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Can't imagine what that noise can be. Maybe someone else familiar with this will chime in.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 02:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

My check engine light came on tonight as well. I guess I'll be going to chrysler. I would just like to be able to help point them in the right direction.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 05:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

When you go to Chrysler, just tell them the problems as you have experienced them.......don't make guesses as to what you think it might be. I think we sometimes cloud the issues, by making distracting suppositions. Keep it simple, and let them figure it out.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 08:36 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm willing to bet it's your multi-function switch (headlight/dimmer/signal). It's a known problem with our cars.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 11:09 am
Young Cruiser

Don't know if this will do you any good or no. I found the following on ptcruizer.com

Loss of dash lights/ radio LEDsI found the cause for the loss of dash lights and loss of led on the radio/clock of my 2002 PT: moving the steering wheel up and down while adding side pressure (either direction) causes the lights to go out. Remove the bottom steering wheel cover; turn the ignition key on so the dash lights and the radio/clock led are on, but not the engine. Next move the wheel up and down slowly while applying pressure to the left and right to encourage an electrical open condition. If the lights go out you now can fix the problem as I did.

I used a small wire spring (3/16 to 1/4 inch diameter) to hook across the hinge point. Be sure to form the spring ends so they stay put on the hinge arms by moving the stearing wheel up and down. This will eliminate the winking light problem. Too bad the electronics designer couldn’t have used a short wire cable instead.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take it back to the dealer, doesn't seem right that the 90 day warranty ends and you start having problems, a GOOD dealer will still honor the period,

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I need to determine whether it is the switch or the cluster. I am not sure.

From what I have been reading elsewhere, some people have switch problems while others have replaced the cluster.

If it was the cluster, why then do the HVAC and Window lights not power on? or are they in series?

The modulating sound I heard was actually interference it was causing through my stereo.
So then could this be something else? or is the power being directed elsewhere into interference. I am no electrician so I really have no clue.

I will definitely try to get the used car dealer to take care of it. Unfortunately, I had another issue a few weeks back with a clicking in the control arm and he still hasn't returned my calls as to the reimbursement he promise. Guess its off to the BBB after all this.

I will try the steering wheel idea. I was poking and prodding wires and whatnot under there to see if i could get it to kick in. It really seems odd that it just stopped working.