Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Ignition and Steering Lock Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2009, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition and Steering Lock Problems

Hi,

I've just bought a 02 PT Cruiser 53k. In awesome condition at a rock bottom price. But theres a couple of things which need fixing:

1: Ignition, i can start the car without a problem but when running i can remove the keys and the car still runs. How can this be fixed? Is it costly?

2: Steering lock, i dont know if its a connecting problem but the steering wheel does not lock when the key is removed.

Please help.
Thanks
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition and Steering Lock Problems

Hopefully someone will come along with a good answer for you but from what I'm reading in your post:

The same part that stops your key from being removed when your running is probably the same part that locks the steering wheel when the key is removed.

It's possible that someone tried to steal the PT and broke into the ignition switch and broke something off, or it broke on it's own (never heard of that problem so don't think it did that).

You probably need just the part that the ignition tumbler fits into, (lock cylinder housing ?), but that's only my guess.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Like CREWZIN, I can't say for sure but I would have to guess that what he said is probably true. I know the old GM ignition cylinders would wear out and you could pull your key out while the thing was running. It's handy in the winter if you want to lock your car and go back in the house while it's warming up. I haven't heard of Chryslers having that problem though. New lock cylinders are $50 off eBay. I would go to a competent locksmith and see if he can change the cylinder to match your doors. I'm thinking that would be cheaper than getting two doors and a hatch matched to the ignition key unless you don't mind having two keys for the doors and ignition.

Did you do a Carfax report on it to see if it was stolen or in any accidents? That could be the reason it was so cheap.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeh i did check to see if the car was stolen and it came back clean?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTNoob01695 View Post
Yeh i did check to see if the car was stolen and it came back clean?
Maybe somebody just "tried" to steal it and didn't get very far because braking the steering lock won't do any good. The computer has to read the chip in the key to let the engine run.

Anyhow, if you don't mind that the key comes out of the ignition and the wheel won't lock, you can always just leave it "as is". In 9 years I don't think I've ever tried to take the key out while running and have never locked the wheel when parked. The wheel lock is only for the amateur thief. If the real thieves want your PT, they'll get it one way or the other.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 06:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The computer has to read the chip in the key to let the engine run.
What year cars have that? Mine certainly doesn't.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man View Post
What year cars have that? Mine certainly doesn't.

OK, maybe not a "chip" (I used the wrong terminology - my Corvette uses a chipped key) but the cruiser has programmed keys and without them the engine will die after a few seconds of running. So what I'm saying is braking the ignition lock and hot wiring the PT doesn't do any good.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 06:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I believe from what I've heard that the "programmed" key was optional starting in 2003 ( not sure about other years) but I've been asked once or twice if I had the programmed key or not when I had work done. Not sure how truthfull the question was.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 19 Aug 2009, 06:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gotcha. Just wondering because I bought a "novelty" key (Viper key) off eBay and it works fine with my car.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Old 29 Aug 2009, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ive had a closer look at this the steering lock is fine. but i need a new cylinder lock got quoted 140 from Chrysler