Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got my PT. Big problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Got my PT. Big problems

Well I went to Dallas the other day and picked up my PT. 2005 Limited turbo. I went to my nephew's house and the next day the battery was dead. I found that the driving (fog) lights under the bumper came on all by them selves. Every now and then they'd go off and later come on again. All systems were off. I also locked all of the doors with the clicker and later I came to the car and all the doors were unlocked. I thought I was goin' senile so I pushed all of the locks down manually. I came out the next morning and the door were all unlocked. On my way home I was standing beside the car and I heard a noise and the doors unlocked again, all by themselves. (I pulled the fuses for the lights and door locks until I got home) I doubt anybody on here will have any idea what this problem is. If anyone does it you will be a PT genius.
Another thing, it has a 6 CD changer, where do you put the CD's? I do not see an remote mounted box anywhere. My Navigator has it in the center console but the PT doesn't have a center console and I don't see a box in the trunk anywhere. What's up with that? I'm used to driving an anemic Pontiac Sunfire so the power is awesome! Other than those problems it is fine ...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to saldagus
Default Re: Got my PT. Big problems

Your multi function switch is gone. For now, just pull out the fog light fuse. Same thing happened to me.

Switch is really easy to replace, or if you're under warranty, it'll be covered
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

No, I don't suppose it's under warranty. It's 4 years old with 41K on it .. I would assume unless it's something to do with emissions it's not covered. What do they cost and where is it? Any idea? .. Multi function .. geeeze . who'd have ever thunk there'd be such a thing? Already pulled the fuse ... Thanks a ton .. That's exactly why some of these forums are so good. If I'd have posted that on the Pontiac forum I wouldn't have an answer next year .. Thanks again..
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to saldagus

The multifunction switch is the light/turn signal/fog light stalk. It all comes out in one piece
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:17 am
Regular Cruiser

What would that have to do with the doors unlocking? Is it tied into that too? And I assume you'd have to take the steering wheel off to get to the multi function switch?
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As far as unlocking the doors by themselves, the unit that controls the electronically controlled locks is called the RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) and they have been known to go bad.

...and NO, you don't have to take the steering wheel off to replace the Multi-function stalk. Just a matter of a few screws and bolts. The real problem is finding a new stalk to replace your bad one. Chrysler has something like 3000 stalks on national back-order so getting a new one is...shall we say difficult. Some owners have bought the whole fog light kit (lights, harness stalk) just to get the new stalk but it's 3 times the price of the stalk itself.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Aug 2009 at 08:11 am.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin .. btw, I'm a retired Tampa LEO. There are lots of strange things going on with this. Awhile ago I went out and opened the door and the alarm went off. I hadn't set the alarm. I locked the doors manually. I had to go find the clicker to turn off the alarm. It just seems to be there should be a common denominator that ties all of this to one thing. I can't imagine all of these systems going haywire individually. I'm beginning to think workin' on this thing is next to impossible. Hell, I can't even figure out how to get the battery out. It's for sure I'm goin' to have to get a manual. Looks to me like you'd have to take the motor out (the bottom) just to get to the starter and lower radiator hose. They should have either put a flip foward front end on it or put the front end on with dzus fasteners .. This is goin' to be interesting for sure. Just seems to me a lot of un-related stuff is goin' on here. (lights, door locks, alarm and no telling what else will pop up). Anyway, thanks a ton for y'alls help. I'm probably going to pester y'all to death for awhile ...

Last edited by ejstith; 20 Aug 2009 at 08:47 am.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The battery is pretty easy to get to put a couple parts of the air filter have to be taken off. The lower radiator hose is also accessible from underneath. The starter and all related front end parts are accessed from the right hand side wheel well. Once the passenger wheel is taken off, the inner fender snaps out and the whole front of the engine is there to work on. The hardest thing to do is change the timing belt. It's a 5-7 hour job by a professional. Of course pulling the whole engine or transaxle is THE hardest job but hopefully you'll never have to do that.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here on the forum so don't hesitate to ask a question but we would owners to use our on-site search at the top of the forum because usually everything has been asked before and the answers could be already there.

As far as a flip-up hood, that's what I love about my Vette. I'm retired also from a government job up near D.C. and now just helping out the Sheriff's department down here.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 10:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, all of that is good to know. I looked down in there and you can imagine what I said. I just replaced the starter on my Pontiac Sunfire and it took all of about 15/20 minutes. I retired from the Tampa PD and then came and worked for the state for 23 years .... So I'm a tripple dipper, suckin' on that government tit for a long time .. lol !! Thanks again ..
Old 20 Aug 2009, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As I: 32 years with one of the Dept of Defense's secret agencies, Retired Navy (4 active 17 reserve) and enough 1/4's to pull in a check from Uncle Sam's Social Security.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Aug 2009 at 10:52 am.