Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2009, 02:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Advice Needed

I have a 2005 PT Convertible (45,000 miles) with an extended warranty (with a $200 deductible). The Dealership I purchased it from has closed down 5 months ago.

For the last week, when I turned the ignition key, there was a slight lag until the car would start. I thought the starter was going and was going to take the car in on my next day off.

On Friday evening, I turned off the car and when I went to restart it, the car was dead. The power windows, convertible top, the lights and radio were working, so I assumed the starter had finally died. Per the warranty, the car was towed to the only Chrysler dealer left in Las Vegas.

Besides being dead, I explained that none of my electrical outlets were working and asked if this could have something to do with the problem. They determined that the problem was the battery (not covered under warranty) and a blown fuse (again, not covered under warranty). So without any choice, I paid $237 for a new battery and fuse.

When they brought my car out, the front passenger window was down and the rear passenger window was up. When I went to raise the front window, nothing happened. When I went to lower the rear window, nothing happened.

Here's where it gets sketchy:

When I brought it to the Service Dept. attention, I was told that the mechanic lowered the window, and couldn't close it. They are assuming that the window module failed and that it had nothing to do with what their mechanic did. I'm assuming that that the mechanic did something when assessing the electrical problem and that the dealership should be responsible to fix it. I really don't have/ want to spend another $200.

I had to leave the dealership to go to work, so the "consultant" told me he would look into it and get back to me this evening. Of course, he didn't call.

So my question is, if the dealership does NOT take responsibility, how do I handle it?

Thanks.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 04:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Advice Needed

Hey their LVActor,

Welcome to the Forum. Man, it always really kills me every time a Dealer sells off what should have been a $40.00 Battery, and $0.15 Fuse, and charge off $234.00 for it! I know it happens, and usually the person winds up just going ahead and paying for it, but it is really wrong, and I hate it when that jacked up kind of thing happens! Sorry if I came off a bit harsh! Its not your fault.

Now, It is pretty common after a Battery goes completely dead to temporarily wind up with a few "Ghost's in the system" which are basically false/positive engine codes, lights not working, convertible top, or windows not working, and so on. In most cases their is nothing wrong. The System just needs to be reset. All that you need to do is pop the hood, pull the positive cable off the battery and let it sit off for 5 minutes, and then put it back on, and everything should work fine again.

My best advice, swing by and pick up your PT, and get it out of the Dealer! Don't let them run the bill any higher than they already got you for!

Also, just for next time, if you ever get into a position again where you start having problems with the Starter dragging, or issues with the Battery, you can stop by most any Auto Parts Store (Pep Boys, Oreilly, Kragen, etc) and they usually can do a simple 5 minute charging system test to see if your battery, alternator, starter, and so on are all working properly. What they do for this test is take a simple 12 volt volt meter and first check the voltage in the battery itself to make sure that is ok. Then they will hold the volt meter on the battery leads, and ask you to start your car, and turn on your lights, stereo, A/C, to put a draw on your system. It should drop initially, and then come back up to somewhere between 12 - 14 volts. If it drops after starting but before a load is put on it, you may have a starter issue, or other bad wire, or electrical problems. If it drops and doesn't come back, your Alternator most likely could be bad. Also if the reading is too high (15 - 17 volts+) that is also an indicator that your Alternator might be going, and in this case could overcharge the battery resulting in the sides of the battery casing bulging out, and could potentially blow the top off the battery off in certain (rare) circumstances.

Their are also a couple more tests that can be done to check the battery out by itself to determine the problem if need be.

Anyways, like I said, I would pick up your PT, reset the system, and you should be good to go. If their is still a problem, either myself, or any one of a number of great People are always here, and more than happy to help try to troubleshoot any problems you may have.

Go easy, please let me know if that doesn't fix it, and we will try to help figure it out.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 21 Aug 2009, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Advice Needed

Agree w/Candyman.
Tell the dealer that
1) You are writing to Chrysler
2) You are writing to Better Business Bureau
And, do # 1 and 2.
You owe it to the Stealer.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Aug 2009, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

The battery trick worked like a charm!

Thank you Candyman.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 01:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their LVActor,

No problem, and great to hear it worked out!

Go easy, and I'll catch you later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Old 22 Aug 2009, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
All that you need to do is pop the hood, pull the positive cable off the battery and let it sit off for 5 minutes, and then put it back on, and everything should work fine again.
I agree with everything but this one statement. Pull the NEGative terminal, not the positive. There is a negative cycle capacitor system on these PT's, which is why in the manual it always says the negative terminal, that and less sparks when reconnecting. Also, press your brake pedal while the negative terminal is off, that bleeds off any residual charge that might be left on the system. The caps on the PCM are there to keep the PCM floating with a small charge should power be temporarily interrupted, and while removing the positive lead will most of the time render the same results, still it should be the negative lead, just to make sure.

And I'm glad that it worked for you, seems every time I pull power off I get some bug or another that doing this clears up.

Now if I could just get Candyman to head to the East coast and paint my car....lol
Old 22 Aug 2009, 03:05 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their Chromenut,

Normally I would have to agree with ya on being a bit better to do the negative cable, but for an example, on the PT GT the regular 26-R Battery is crammed in so tight, and you usually wind up having to loosen up the air ducts, remove the air box, loosen up the battery holder, and move the battery out from under the left fender to reach the negative terminal which just seems like lot of work to achieve the same result. Its even worse if ya get smart like me, and try cramming a red top Optima in their where you wind up not even being able to see the negative Terminal! Here's an old pic. Not the greatest pic, and please excuse the dirt as it had been sitting in the shop a few months, but here is my ride with the negative terminal completely buried under the fender.

Anyways, either way will yield the same result. The goal is to just reset the system to clear the ghosts from the system.

Again, go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Old 22 Aug 2009, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OH, I didn't know that. Mine is easily accessible. Learn something new everyday...
Old 22 Aug 2009, 04:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their Chromenut,

Yeah, their pretty crammed in their pretty good. i have seen A lot of people actually go to a shorty cold air intake set up and move the battery back so its easier to work with. Just too much stuff, and too little room.

Anyways, as always, go easy and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Old 24 Aug 2009, 11:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey their Chromenut,

Yeah, their pretty crammed in their pretty good. i have seen A lot of people actually go to a shorty cold air intake set up and move the battery back so its easier to work with. Just too much stuff, and too little room.

Anyways, as always, go easy and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman
Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this PT stuff and I'll probably be asking some really stupid stuff for awhile but what's a shorty cold air box?