Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
what else can i do to my 01' PT??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default what else can i do to my 01' PT??

alright.. i've put in an intake and a nice muffler that makes backfire..

its sooooo slow and im getting too bored..

what else can i do??
if it were a turbo i coulda put in an awesome stage 1 with mopar..
but too bad its 01' limited edition..

please save me from this boredom!!!!
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: what else can i do to my 01' PT??

Sorry Josh, too bad you didn't test drive it before you bought it to find out if you'd like it. After saying that, if it's in good tune it will keep up with 99% of the other traffic on the road and will do 110 on the open highway if you care to risk your life and others at that speed. It might not be the fastest car on the road but it's far from being the slowest. If you wanted a ricer/racer you should thought about that beforehand. It'll spin the tires from a standstill and cruise at 80 all day long. Just enjoy it for what it is ....a CRUISER.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:38 pm
Young Cruiser

No sure why every one is buying expensive exhaust
when all you have to do is unbolt the exhaust right at the rear axel put a 45 degree tip on it so it don't burn anything, Sounds good at list im happy with it

(PT >>CRUISER<< )Get it Cruiser)

Last edited by 02PT; 25 Aug 2009 at 06:41 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PT View Post
No sure why every one is buying expensive exhaust
when all you have to do is unbolt the exhaust right at the rear axel put a 45 degree tip on it so it don't burn anything, Sounds good at list im happy with it

(PT >>CRUISER<< )Get it Cruiser)
GOT PICS??
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
GOT PICS??
I will post some this week
Old 25 Aug 2009, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'll give you the standard answer you'll get from just about any PT Cruiser forum:

If you have a ton of money laying around, you have a few options:

1) Supercharger - Jackson, Whipple and Kenne Bell made supercharger kits for the PT, all of which are now discontinued and many owners have reported reliability issues with them. On the other hand, there are a handful that are still running them happily. Sorta hit and miss. Also keep in mind that a supercharger is always on, and can result in poor drivability. These days, you'll be lucky to find one, and if you do, expect to pay upwards of $2,000 for the parts-- used, and expect to pay another $1,000 for installation, dyno time and tuning. For about $3,000 or so (if you're lucky enough to get your hands on one) you'll yield about 220hp at the crank. Less than the GT.

2) Turbo kits. Hahn and a couple other companies came out with a kit-- which have all been discontinued, that included a small turbo and all the necessary hardware to install it. You can run approximately 6-8psi on the stock block, depending upon how daring you are, and it'll bump you up to a little less than the horsepower of the GT depending on the quality of your parts. Not sure what the resale specs are of the Hahn kit, but you're looking at spending between $3,500 and $5,500 when you're all said and done, between the price of the kit, boost controller, installation, dyno time and a tune.

3) Spray. Zex, most notably, has a 4-cylinder kit that is compatible with the PT Cruiser, but the stock block can only really handle a 55-shot of spray. Anything higher and you risk detonation within the block. Also, if you run any type of forced induction, I wouldn't advise spraying on top of that. You'll pay somewhere around $500-600 for the kit, and if you're handy, you can install it in about 6-8 hours. If not, expect to pay for about 3-4 hours labor-- about $200-300 depending on your shop.

The last thing you have to consider when adding power to the PT is that the weakest point on the PT Cruiser is the automatic transmission. If you've got an auto, plan on it failing prematurely with any of the above power-adders.. unless you're extremely diligent with it.

So, basically, if you've got the money, go for one of the above, but the best solution is to trade in your N/A PT and use the money you'd put down to make it a GT and just buy a damn GT.

Old 25 Aug 2009, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I gotta say I agree with everything Chris said above. Right on the money. Basically, if you want to make a performance hotrod out of your PT, I'd consider selling it and buying a GT. I've heard, seen, or witnessed someone doing all of the suggestions that Chris has made, which by the way Chris is an EXCELLENT catalog of what you can do to performance tune an NA PT, and none of them ended well.

The version of the PT you have is made for Cruising, not for speed, not for the track. It's going to cost you an arm, a leg, and an eyebrow to build that up to be any kind of sportscar. I say mod it as a gorgeous cruiser and forget the performance aspects!!! Low and slow, that's an excellent way to go with that model!

Chris, nice job!

edit - oh and if you're wanting to go Hahn turbo, I just saw a couple for sale in 52mm (I think that was it), either at PTEnthusiasts or at PTCrew...
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

chris15 I see from your picture that your bumpers are black did you do that or were they black when you got it. Mine has gray that I just removed the tape mark with fine steelwool and wd40 like the thread I found on here showed. I also saw a thread on how to paint them. twress

Last edited by twress; 26 Aug 2009 at 11:51 am.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks Chromenut. One question-- where did you say you saw a Hahn kit for sale? I looked on PTCrew and PTe and saw a 52mm throttle body, but not a Hahn kit.

Twress, my bumpers were grey like yours when I first got it, and had the tape marks. I tried the WD-40/steel wool method and didn't like how it came out. If you want to do what I did, Crewzin copied a post of mine and stickied it in the Exterior section of the forum, here. I also wanted to get rid of the front license plate holes in my bumper, as I live in Florida and they aren't required, so I used a bit of Bondo, applied some wetsanding love to it, and followed those instructions. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or ask on here. I can provide you with before/after pictures if you'd like.

Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks chris15 I also was wondering about the license plate holes and what to use to fill the holes. In michigan you don't have to have a front plate and I like better without. twress

Last edited by twress; 27 Aug 2009 at 06:18 am.