Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken ABS ring! WTFudge!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2009, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broken ABS ring! WTFudge!

My wife called me at work and reported a grinding sound with the Trac OFF light coming on. I told her to turn off the Traction control and go home.

I jacked it up and found a broken stabilizer end link. No problem. $20 for parts to fix in stock. It needed brakes. No problem.

The RF ABS reluctor ring had a crack in it. I touched it and it moved. It spun on the axle. It was broken and loose.

Not wanting it to damage the ABS sensor if it got bound up or flung around, I removed it (breaking it in two). A test drive and the ABS light came on as it had no signal from the RF wheel.

My question is can I buy these stupid rings or do I need to replace the axle?

The car is a 2001 with about 98,000 miles for it is not beyond me to literally cover the ABS light with tape. I just know it is a lot of labor to remove those axles just to replace a stupid ABS ring.

Any advice?
Old 26 Aug 2009, 05:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Broken ABS ring! WTFudge!

Don't know. Yours is the first I've heard of of a broken ring - usually it's a sensor. Can't you tell by looking at it how it goes on?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Aug 2009, 08:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The axle will have to be removed to replace the sensor. Mainly because that's the only way to get the ring on the axle. As for getting the ring seperately.... I don't think you can get it alone but you never know. With almost 100k it wouldn't be too much of a waste to just replace the axle all together.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I guess I can start looking in junk yards for a RF axle. My guess is the ring is either powdered metal or cast. It looks like it is pressed onto the axle end possibly by preheating to expand it and then placed onto the axle.

I'd buy a new one if the wife was working, but she has no interest in that.

I can check my manual, but one last quick question: Is there a fuse for the ABS circuit and if I pull it will the ABS light go out?
Old 26 Aug 2009, 01:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh1138 View Post
I can check my manual, but one last quick question: Is there a fuse for the ABS circuit and if I pull it will the ABS light go out?
No. There is no way to disable it. The ring is actually machined steel. It can be pressed on or off very easily. You could check at the dealer for the ring.... Not sure if it's available.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Steel it aint. It's soft and chewy (well, not chewy). At best it is cast and has machined teeth, but it's as soft as taffy and bends in your hand.

But I will call the dealer and see if I can buy just the gear. My guess is they would want too much. They wanted $32 each for the damned chrome-plated aluminum wheel centers!
Old 07 Sep 2009, 08:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

may be late. I have replaced the cv axle on the drivers side and as i dont have ABS, i took the ring out of the new part, and is sitting in my garage. just let me now if you need it.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I guess you could try replacing it, especially since carpincopy has one. I've attached snippets from the service manual on that, it's called the "Tone Wheel", and it says you can't replace the front ones, you have to replace the entire drive shaft. If you ask at the dealership, they likely say that as it's supposed to be tuned to the axle. Anyway, not sure if this helps but see the attached from the '01 service manual.