Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 overheating with A/C on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2009, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 overheating with A/C on

Hi everyone, i am new to this site. It's nice to know that you can go somewhere to ask questions other than a dealership or mechanic. My wifes 2007 overheats with the A/C on. The mechanic(not chrysler) is telling me it is the fan, $700.00 to replace, on back order from chrysler for up to three weeks. The car is still drivable, just no A/C. After checking one of the threads from other members i find myself questioning the mechanics diagnosis. One of the members had the same problem with his daughters car and found that a wiring harness had been burnt and that replacing had solved the problem. He had to bypass the fan to see if it turned on first, once he did this and it worked he knew the fan was good. I would like to check the fan first, how would i go about bypassing the fan? This is a good starting point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 28 Aug 2009, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 overheating with A/C on

Here's some reading for you...

overheats when ac is on - been to two mechanics...frustrated.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info Crewzin, there doesn't seem to be an ending to the story. At this point i am still not sure whether to go ahead with the fix and find myself still overheating. There was a thread where one of the members had a problem with his daughters car, in the end he found out that it was a burnt plug. There was mention of bypassing the fan to see if it turned on or not but i am not sure how i would do this. If that is the test to see if the fan motor is finished then i would feel better about buying the fan and having it installed. Should you have any advise on how to check if the fan motor is finished i would appreciate that.

Thanks, Paul
Old 30 Aug 2009, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I forgot to mention that there is about 65,000 km or 43,000 miles.

Thanks, Paul
Old 30 Aug 2009, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Thanks for the info Crewzin, there doesn't seem to be an ending to the story. At this point i am still not sure whether to go ahead with the fix and find myself still overheating. There was a thread where one of the members had a problem with his daughters car, in the end he found out that it was a burnt plug. There was mention of bypassing the fan to see if it turned on or not but i am not sure how i would do this. If that is the test to see if the fan motor is finished then i would feel better about buying the fan and having it installed. Should you have any advise on how to check if the fan motor is finished i would appreciate that.

Thanks, Paul
Is this the burnt plug?
Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Old 31 Aug 2009, 01:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I work on these things for a living and can tell you that I have not seen one with a burned plug. I would consider the burned plug an extremely rare fault.
Replace the fan and you'll be ok.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
I work on these things for a living and can tell you that I have not seen one with a burned plug. I would consider the burned plug an extremely rare fault.
Replace the fan and you'll be ok.
I put a multi-meter on the fan and I'am getting resistance of 17 ohms ,I think the fan is still good.I believe it would read infinitiy if the fan was toasted the motor windings be opened .

Last edited by peterock2002; 31 Aug 2009 at 01:28 pm.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pete, please keep throwing parts on your PT paying NO attention to anyone here who is trying to help you. Once you replace the fan motor please come back and tell us that it was the problem.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 31 Aug 2009, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Pete, please keep throwing parts on your PT paying NO attention to anyone here who is trying to help you. Once you replace the fan motor please come back and tell us that it was the problem.
I'am gonna get the ebay fan
Old 31 Aug 2009, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I brought the ebay fan will be here next Tuesday .