Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT cruiser gas mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 PT cruiser gas mileage

I just purchased a 2005 Automatic Touring Edition with 39000 miles I am getting 16.3 mpg. Basicly all in town driving. I ran three tanks, I get my gas at the same pump every time do everything the same, so this should be pretty accurate. Is this typical for a 2005 PT Cruiser ? I will be taking a 500 mile trip soon any ideas on pure highway mpg? I do like the car it's great so far...but can I get any better gas mileage ?
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT cruiser gas mileage

The first thing we recommend is to change plugs & wires, see the sticky and gap at .040 using dialectric grease on wires and anti-seize on plugs, Make sure you tires are up to pressure. Some have changed air filters to K&N or Airaid. That is just a couple of things you can try, oh, and don't drive over 65 mph, that is where you'll get the best MPG. I use Fuelly.com to track my mileage.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Sep 2009, 06:31 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm very disappointed in the mpg. I'm seeing about 15 to 17 around town, and about 24 on the road. I guess I didn't buy it for the mileage; but had hopped it would be better than it is. I have two other 4-cylinder cars and they do much better, even our V-6 van does.

I almost wish I hadn't traded my Chevy Blazer, it got the same mpg and had a lot more versatility. I'm looking for another one.
Old 01 Sep 2009, 06:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The Cruiser is not know for it's mileage. It's a heavy car for it's size and as aero-dynamic as a brick. But, we bought it for it's retro appearance.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 01 Sep 2009, 07:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner49 View Post
I'm very disappointed in the mpg. I'm seeing about 15 to 17 around town, and about 24 on the road. I guess I didn't buy it for the mileage; but had hopped it would be better than it is. I have two other 4-cylinder cars and they do much better, even our V-6 van does.

I almost wish I hadn't traded my Chevy Blazer, it got the same mpg and had a lot more versatility. I'm looking for another one.
When I got my first new one, I wasn't really happy either. I did find out that after I changed my plugs & wires, added Airaid and watched how I drove my mileage improved. I now get 17-19 city and up to 28+ highway. I have been using Fuelly to track my mileage so I know exactly what my mileage is.

I have had 3 open and 5 arthroscopic back surgeries and the PT fits me very well even on long drives. I can drive up to 600 miles a day if necessary without a aching back. The comfort for me trumps the pain. BTW this is our 3rd PT since 2004.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Sep 2009, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Dodgerdude71,
Old 04 Sep 2009, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Dodgerdude71,
I have an 06 and was getting about 16 mpg. After running over the road in a semi and paying thru the nose for fuel, I decided to work on increasing my gas mileage on the PT Cruiser. Have you heard of an On board On demand Hydrogen Generator System? I developed one to work in my Cruiser and I have so far increased my mileage by 40%. The car runs great.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2008 stick shift and live in a very rural area I go up and down a couple of mountains twice a day going and coming from work. My MPG is between 26-28 MPG.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 09:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerdude71 View Post
I just purchased a 2005 Automatic Touring Edition with 39000 miles I am getting 16.3 mpg.? I do like the car it's great so far...but can I get any better gas mileage ?
I have basically your car except, that I have the convertible version, see the following. The columns you might be interested in my spread sheet are the ones in blue. My car only has about 8000 miles on it.

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit

Last edited by Windancer; 05 Sep 2009 at 09:42 am.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 02:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milemaster View Post
Dodgerdude71,
I have an 06 and was getting about 16 mpg. After running over the road in a semi and paying thru the nose for fuel, I decided to work on increasing my gas mileage on the PT Cruiser. Have you heard of an On board On demand Hydrogen Generator System? I developed one to work in my Cruiser and I have so far increased my mileage by 40%. The car runs great.
40% will get you about 22.4 which is about right for mixed driving. As far as the Hydrogen generation system ...... Call me a non-believer....