Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 Turbo PT Mode Door Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2009, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2004 Turbo PT Mode Door Problem

In my girlfriends 2004 Turbo PT the knob that adjusts where the airflow goes (defrost, vents, floor, etc.) will no longer turn. Being adventureous I took the center bezel off to see what was going on. The cable was completely bent. So, I know I need a new cable.

I tried to push the cable manually, but it just won't move...in or out. So, the air is coming out "bi-level" and can not be changed. Suppose there is something blocking the door inside the HVAC housing? I saw in the service manual what was involved in opening that up and it's more than I can tackle. I was hoping maybe someone here had the same issue and had an easier fix??

Thanks for your help.
Old 04 Sep 2009, 09:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 Turbo PT Mode Door Problem

I haven't seen any problems with the cable. It's possible that something may have fallen in and jammed it. Has the dash top ever broken or been replaced? Some of the covers have had some age related breakage issues.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's what's funny. When we bought the car a year ago, the knob wouldn't turn so the dealer replaced the entire HVAC housing. That worked until now. So, the HVAC housing is new, the dash is in good shape, etc. I'm hoping that a stick or something worked it way in there, but according to the service manual it's a huge job to get that thing out to take it apart. I was hoping that someone knew an easier way to take a vent off or something...at least enough to gain access to the door mechanism to make sure the path is clear.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 08:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You can take the dash top off and look down the defrost duct. It's pretty simple to do that. If you can get to the lever for the mode door see if it moves easily. I've been working on Pt's since 03 and can't remember ever seeing a problem with the doors. I haven't even had the dash out of one in a couple of years so I'm not sure how the cable is routed or where the door lever is... If you have the center trim panel on the dash off already you can chase the cable to see where it goes...