Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad News...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2009, 12:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Bad News...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So I noticed the other day a bit of orangy fluid on the garage floor and on the driveway. I have also noticed a noticable loud humming from the car almost like a loud fan noise....coming home tonight my car temp guage lit up in red twice on the dash with chiming alarm noises. I got it under cover in the garage...openned the hood and smelled some kind of odour............I will have it towed to my mechanic hopefully Tues or Wed....this is a long WE...unless he works tomorrow...Sat. Opinions as to what happened?:confuse d:
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 05 Sep 2009, 06:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad News...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Phil,

Hard to diagnose but could be the water pump leaking and when you lost enough coolant it would allow the system to let in air and with air, the system will bill boil and overheat.

My son's mother-in-law called me last night on her trip to Boston from Virginia. She has an 02 PT. Here's is overheating when she has the air-conditioning on. No leak. As we found out from previous posts, she probably has the fan burnt out but with you, the leak was your first indication of trouble.

You could also just have a leak in one of the radiator hoses. Cheap fix. First you want to do a pressure test to find out where your leak is coming from.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Sep 2009, 09:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyk View Post
So I noticed the other day a bit of orangy fluid on the garage floor and on the driveway. I have also noticed a noticable loud humming from the car almost like a loud fan noise....coming home tonight my car temp guage lit up in red twice on the dash with chiming alarm noises. I got it under cover in the garage...openned the hood and smelled some kind of odour............I will have it towed to my mechanic hopefully Tues or Wed....this is a long WE...unless he works tomorrow...Sat. Opinions as to what happened?:confuse d:
Hope you are back on the road soon, I think that Crewzin pretty much was right. I don't know about you in Edmonton but Regina is supposed to be 32C which is great cruising weather especially with my top down. I got it all shined up and clean (pictures to follow) yesterday.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 05 Sep 2009, 07:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

Keep us posted! I hope all goes well and it's not real expensive...
Old 05 Sep 2009, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe the humming was the fan - trying to keep the temp down.
Get under and see if you can see where leak is...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2009, 10:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hmmmmm Thinking HHmmmmmm----I got it !!!

v
v
v
v
v
The Dog Missed the Tire

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas