PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Good & Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2009, 08:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Good & Bad

Well I did my first maintenance and oil change on the PT. The good is that it's really easy to get the oil filter off. On everything else I have except my F-250 the oil filter is up in the dungeons of the motor. While at it I changed the negative battery cable. Now that is another story. I guess it's more just "busy work", as my son calls it, just getting everything out of the way. I don't guess you could expect them to put the battery hold down bolt on the other side of the battery, naw, that would have made it too easy. The wire, from the factory, was wrapped up like a mummy. I didn't put all of that wrapping back on. One big thing, one needs to cover the front of the work area with something because if something falls down in the caverns it's gone. I lost two "somethings" down in there somewhere. I had the grille out which is real easy and I can see that being a good thing in the future. Looking at the bottom of the motor I can see that some maintenance on accessories, starter, alternator and other things would just be a nightmare trying to get to. Oh well, that's my story on my first job of which I'm sure there will be more. This is the first vehicle I've ever put 5W30 oil in. My Pontiac and my Navigator both call for 5W30 but I have refused to do it. I have always used 10W30 and wish I'd have got it for the PT. That 5W simply looks too thin to my way of thinking. Maybe if I lived up north somewhere but not here in FL. I expect the next time it will get 10W.

Last edited by ejstith; 06 Sep 2009 at 08:59 am.