Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2009, 11:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Tires

I just got some 16inch rims for my PT Cruiser. What tires would i need? Right now I have 195/65 15inch rim. Thanks! I heard it is bad to put bigger rims to the car. Anyone know why? Thanks!

Last edited by oscar514; 07 Sep 2009 at 10:16 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2009, 08:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Tires

The basic size is 205/55 16 to keep the speedometer/odometer accurate.

And of course putting bigger rims on a car makes it bad. Well actually the main reason would have to be the fact that you will be having a shorter sidewall for the tires so you'll expect a little less comfort while driving.
Old 06 Sep 2009, 09:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
The basic size is 205/55 16 to keep the speedometer/odometer accurate.

And of course putting bigger rims on a car makes it bad. Well actually the main reason would have to be the fact that you will be having a shorter sidewall for the tires so you'll expect a little less comfort while driving.
its not bad, well it depend of your point of view, yes when going with a bigger rim you give some confort away, but you gain some control. with my 17inches rims and sonar sx1-evo tires it now turn the curves way better than the stock tires/wheels, plus the steering is more precise, but every hole hit more, its a compromise to do between confort and performance....

Last edited by yaris; 06 Sep 2009 at 09:24 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2009, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! You know any good tires for a PT Cruiser (one that is good for everything: rain, comfortable ride, snow, etc.) Thanks!
Old 07 Sep 2009, 01:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris View Post
its not bad, well it depend of your point of view, yes when going with a bigger rim you give some confort away, but you gain some control. with my 17inches rims and sonar sx1-evo tires it now turn the curves way better than the stock tires/wheels, plus the steering is more precise, but every hole hit more, its a compromise to do between confort and performance....
Right, the fact that you can upgrade the tire brand/model helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar514 View Post
Thanks! You know any good tires for a PT Cruiser (one that is good for everything: rain, comfortable ride, snow, etc.) Thanks!
If I were you, I'd do some research for that by looking at tire reviews on

Tire Rack - Tire Reviews and Ratings
1010 Tires - Tire Reviews & Ratings
Old 07 Sep 2009, 11:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
I just got some 16inch rims for my PT Cruiser. What tires would i need? Right now I have 195/65 15inch rim. Thanks! I heard it is bad to put bigger rims to the car. Anyone know why? Thanks!
As long as they have the same diameter (to keep the speedo & odometer correct)they should be fine. I have 205/55/R16 as my stock tire and I put 225/50/R16 on my 'Vert and they both have a diameter or 24.9".

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 07 Sep 2009, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How do I measure the diameter? Can you specifiy more (sorry, I am not that good with geometry). How do bigger rims make a less comfortable ride? Shouldn't it be more smoother and comfortable? Thanks!
Old 07 Sep 2009, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is the Michelin Primacy MXV4 91H tire any good?
Old 07 Sep 2009, 08:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
How do I measure the diameter? Can you specifiy more (sorry, I am not that good with geometry). How do bigger rims make a less comfortable ride? Shouldn't it be more smoother and comfortable? Thanks!
its because a tire also act a bit as a shock, so the less sidewall you have, the less shock the tire give. plus usually with bigger rims(and less sidewall) you need to run a higher tire pressure which make the tire act even less as a shock
Old 08 Sep 2009, 01:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
You don't have to be a brain surgeon to measure the diameter of a tire. According to Tirerack (Tirerack.com check it out for yourself), your tires which are 195/65/R15 tires have a diameter of 25" and should be on rims that are between 5.5" to 7" wide. How wide are your 16" rims?

Like I said befor my new 16" rims are 7" wide and I hve 225/50/R16 tires on it and the diameter is a wee bit greater than 24.9" which is close to 25" in diameter.

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit

Last edited by Windancer; 08 Sep 2009 at 01:39 am.