PT Cruiser Forum

2006 PT Cruiser GT won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2009, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser GT won't start

Hi,

New to this forum.

I've had a problem with starting my Cruiser. I've had it at the dealer and the charging system/battery are good. No error codes come up under the scope. It clicks but doesn't turn over. The day I bought the vehicle almost 3 years ago I had the same problem but played with the key and it did turn over on the 3rd try. Didn't think much about it at the time but over the past year the problem has gotten progressively worse. I need to get a boost almost every morning. During the day I can run around shutting it off and on many times with no problem. Two or three times my husband was able to start it immediately after I couldn't. One time I had it towed home in minus 30 degree weather because it wasn't starting even while trying to jump start it. The next afternoon it started just fine. What could be the problem if even the experts are stumped? Actually they think I'm an idiot because when ever I bring it in it starts just fine.

Thanks
Old 08 Sep 2009, 03:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser GT won't start

These intermittant problems are the most frustrating.
The click you mention is it a quiet click from inside or a louder one that you can hear and feel.

The louder one may be the starter solenoid clicking but not connecting the starter motor. If it is that one, a new starter will fix the problem.

If it is a quieter click, there is a relay that sends power to the starter solenoid that is clicking but not making contact. This part I know less about because I'm not a PT cruiser expert. Anyone else?
A couple tricks to try for now that may help the mechanic trying to fix your PT.
1. Try start the car in neutral instead of park (keep your foot on the brake so your car does not roll).
2. Keep trying and retrying to start when you get the clicking. It may start after a few tries.
3 One old fashoned trick was to smack the starter with a hammer (not too hard). If that makes it start, you know for sure it is the starter. This should be done by someone who know what they are doing so you don't break the starter.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 05:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Try and put a battery in it because it sounds like it has a bad cell in it. This can cause a car not to start in the morning when cold and start fine later on. When i went to get a new battery from advance auto for the camaro i had, they said mine was good but every morning i had a very hard time starting but later would start fine.I already new that my battery was no good and got the manager involved and they gave me a new one and i didn't have anymore problems.Good luck.
Old 08 Sep 2009, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with the others.
Try WalMart or Sears - I believe they will test your battery/charging system for free (in hopes of selling you a battery) --
Whacking the starter is to coax the solenoid ( the loud click) into moving and making contact.
It could be:
Battery
Starter
Ignition switch
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had the dealer check all of the above. I had 2 AVR tests that came back "good". I have been trickle charging the battery because I read online that an alternator doesn't charge a battery when it's dead and it works great. . .for about 3 weeks and then guess what: YEP, Battery is dead but not empty enough for the interior lights/buzzers to not work.

Now I'm 4.5 hrs out of town and the darn thing won't start. I bought a new charger as I didn't have mine with me and it isn't charging/starting

How many times can a battery die before it's toast? Shouldn't the warranty cover the battery even if the AVR says it's "good" when obviously it isn't?
Old 14 Nov 2009, 09:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your battery is probably toast. Each time a battery is drained totally down, it shortens it's life.
Might have been a faulty battery to begin with, but no way of knowing that now.
If you get someone to jump-start you, it's pretty well confirmation battery is culprit.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have replaced the starter and the battery in my 06 PT Cruiser Touring Edition, and it will turn over, but it won't start. I've checked all the fuses, and all of my lights, dings, and whistles work in the car. Can anyone please help me with this? I desperately need my car back.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyTho View Post
I have replaced the starter and the battery in my 06 PT Cruiser Touring Edition, and it will turn over, but it won't start. I've checked all the fuses, and all of my lights, dings, and whistles work in the car. Can anyone please help me with this? I desperately need my car back.
Your other post says it won't crank - which is it? Starter turns or not?
How many miles on the car?
Check engine light lit?
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Apr 2014, 07:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I hadn't seen anyone else suggest this and I may be off in left field here but if it takes a charge, runs a while, then dies it could be the alternator too.

For the sounds I go by this:

One soft click when the key turns as opposed to many rapid clicks after the key has turned.

One click - not turning over at all

Rapid clicks - trying to turn over and not catching. (or, obviously, other issues...but you'd have a charge)

One click is no charge whatsoever

Rapid clicks means there's a charge but not enough.

So that could be a battery issue, an alternator issue (assuming there is any charge left in the battery at all), a solenoid issue, or a starter issue.

When you try to start it try making sure that the door is closed, all the electronics are turned off (radio, heat/air, blower, lights, etc..) Before I replaced my battery sometimes I would have to do this to get it to have enough charge to turn over.

Just be careful trying to make it turn over too much. I've flooded my engine doing that before then have to wait a while to try again. Also just wanna throw this out here, I'm no expert by any means. These are just the experiences I have had with my PT and other cars I've had. Pretty much it's just an offering of places to start from to look for the problem and then the solution.

Places like Autozone and AdvancedAuto and O'Reily's will also test your battery for free if you take it in to them.

EDIT: Just thought about this too and maybe of the more knowledgeable members here can offer some insight on it. Could it also be a firing issue in one of the cylinders? I know when it got all polar vortex on us here a few months ago my car would sometimes misfire in one of the cylinders upon start up. It would warm up and it would be fine.

2006 Touring Edition Automatic

Last edited by 911Gal; 02 Apr 2014 at 07:12 am.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Pt cruiser wont start

battery is good makes no attempt to start. does anywon know where the starter relay or other relay is that may be the cause.