Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Well my worst fear came true$$$$$$$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2009, 10:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Well my worst fear came true$$$$$$$$

My PT was towed to my mechanic today by the AMA....it set off temp guage alarms and was limped into my driveway/garage Friday. Sat there was a pool of orange fluid on the garage floor. My mechanic syas the waterpump is leaking and needs to be replaced. I am also advised to get the timing belt done at the same time. It will be at least 7 hours of expensive shop time + parts.The car only has 60000km .In my opinion a car with 60km on it shouldn't need such a expensive repair. I have a Toyota I bought for 500$ with 200000km and it hasn't broken down yet.Now I have to fork out over 1000$$ to get my slightly used PT running again. Can someone explain to me why the waterpump fails at 60k? and how the orange fluid leaks out? My car will be in the garage for another day or two and my money will be out of the bank in about the same period.:rant :
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 09 Sep 2009, 06:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Well my worst fear came true$$$$$$$$

Some times stuff just happens. My ptgt decided to spew all it's coolant over the interstate on the first week of ownership. The water pump decided to spring a leak shooting the coolant straight up onto the hood and a few other places sprung a leak too. My car went from normal opperating temp straight to hot without warning and after only having it a week those chimes scared the hell out of me. It only had 41k miles when that happened. I'm guessing previous owner didn't maintain it too well.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 09 Sep 2009, 07:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Sorry to hear that. I know it gets frustrating but at least you know what the problem is and afterwords it will run better than ever! Like 03GTCruiser said, sometimes things just happen. How many repairs were already done to the Toyota when you bought it? We had an '03 Porsche Boxster S that need BOTH catalytic converters replaced at 25,000 miles! Thankfully it was under warranty.
And if that is your worst fear, you're doing pretty good!
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 09 Sep 2009, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Shame you're not close enough for us to do a Tool Time, as both those are not that hard to replace. Mechanics cost is going to be ugly.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 07:59 am
Regular Cruiser

At 65K my '01 Corvette had an inoperative side passenger side window motor, defective turn signals and hazard flasher and had the oil pressure sensor replaced just before these two parts decided to bite the dust. The coating was also peeling off of the glass top.

Ask any C5 Corvette owner, these are normal repairs and defects to be expected with this series Corvette. The window switch, the hazard/turn signal switch and the oil pressure sensor all cost $500 to $700 each to repair at the stealership. There is no know cure for the peeling glass top other than replacement at a cost of $1200 to $1600 unless you are lucky enough to find a good used one.

My '89 Corvette went through an alternator every 12K miles.

So I suppose all cars have their weak spots.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Get out of Edmonton, its those lousy long friggen cold winters that kick the SH@#! out of our vechicles. I`m always replacing frozen batteries too,
Old 09 Sep 2009, 12:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Sorry for the bad news. As a possible explanation as to why this occurred, 60,000 Km is very low for a 6 year old vehicle. The water pump seal is lubricated by circulating coolant. If this vehicle sat for a long time without running it may have had a negative effect on the seal. Also, if the coolant ever got low before the same could happen.
Unfortunately, because of the front end styling of the PT some repairs are more difficult and therefore more expensive.
So maybe it did not happen to your Toyota, but your Toyota doesn't have the style. I bought my PT because I did not want to drive a four door appliance.
I'm hoping the PT karma gods will shine on you with some good fortune now.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To bad it couldn't have been a hose. When I bought my 01 a few months ago the timing belt and water pump had just been replaced at the car lot before I bought it. Lucky me..Best of luck....
Old 09 Sep 2009, 04:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

maybe 2003, 5 yr coolant, never changed??

I drain and refill every other year. never had a WP fail until way pst 100K on any of my cars but look on the bright side you can do all the belts at same time.

I would highly recommend you also have the tensioner and the cam and crank seals replaced at the same time.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 06:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

still no car yet I guess that means tomorrow...........I HOPE...........Please all pray that nothing else wrong is found.
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob