Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Progamming an old key..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Progamming an old key..

We have a key left over from my wifes totalled PTC....

Does anyone know if you can reprogram it for another car? Namely my 06 which I bought used and came with only one key...

Drive safe!
K
Old 11 Sep 2009, 05:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Progamming an old key..

See if this helps ....

New remote programming

If not please do a search for "keys" in this forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 04:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlkcfi View Post
We have a key left over from my wifes totalled PTC....

Does anyone know if you can reprogram it for another car? Namely my 06 which I bought used and came with only one key...

Drive safe!
K
Assuming it hasn't been cut..... but 2 keys are required to re-program 1 and 1 remote is required to reprogram another. The owner's manual outlines the procedure for that year; I would assume your car's manual will do the same. Incidentally you are programing the car to accept the key; not the key.

With the PT and 2 drivers; I consider it mandatory to have a third key programmed and stored in a safe place. The dealer will charge about $150 for a second key while a third can be had from the internet, cut locally and programmed yourself for around $35.....
Old 13 Sep 2009, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay thanks guys, I got it taken care of!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 07:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Really a good idea to post what your solution was, how much it cost etc. Those of us that responded might well have been wrong, you might have found a better way or a cheaper way. You might be surprised how many PT owners might do a search in the future and benefit from your experience or even your confirmation that previous advice was good or bad.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm scolding, at least you let us know you no longer have the problem, you may have solved the problem by selling the car, but I feel this is the worst characteristic of these enthusiast forums. They have great detail on aftermarket door lock pulls but folks ask a practical mechanical question and the loop never gets closed. They get suggestions but don't follow up with what actually solved the problem. All those with the same problem have no confirmation of what the fix was and are left with just the suggestions.

Continuing with keys; it would be interesting to me to see if you could remove the pre-cut blade from another key, cut a non-chip blank to fit the lock and program the car to accept the chip in the old key using the new non-chip blank to turn the lock. Do they need to be attached (tape, epoxi) or just close, maybe even in the driver's pocket.

Last edited by Mal; 14 Sep 2009 at 07:49 am.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'll answer this question. Most like likely not. If your new PT has the big grey key and your old one is the same then maybe... If your new one has the key and fob together then you are out of luck. Now here is a trick that a lot of people have done. You can cut the grey end with the chip in it off and glue it inside the plastic housing next to the ignition switch. Then you can get just regular keys cut with no chip and no need to program. Kinda depends on what you have.
And as for you Mal . You have a bad attitude!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 10:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
I'll answer this question. Most like likely not. If your new PT has the big grey key and your old one is the same then maybe... If your new one has the key and fob together then you are out of luck. Now here is a trick that a lot of people have done. You can cut the grey end with the chip in it off and glue it inside the plastic housing next to the ignition switch. Then you can get just regular keys cut with no chip and no need to program.
Cool, I wondered if that would work and how close it would have to be.
Quote:
I apologize if I gave you that impression. I try very hard not to be blunt but I sometimes don't try hard enough. I will, however, guarantee that I will never make a personal attack.......

Last edited by Mal; 14 Sep 2009 at 10:17 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 07:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Cool, I wondered if that would work and how close it would have to be.I apologize if I gave you that impression. I try very hard not to be blunt but I sometimes don't try hard enough. I will, however, guarantee that I will never make a personal attack.......
I'm just giving ya a hard time. You did come down a little harsh though.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 10:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
I'll answer this question. Most like likely not. If your new PT has the big grey key and your old one is the same then maybe... If your new one has the key and fob together then you are out of luck. Now here is a trick that a lot of people have done. You can cut the grey end with the chip in it off and glue it inside the plastic housing next to the ignition switch. Then you can get just regular keys cut with no chip and no need to program. Kinda depends on what you have.
Seems to be a little disagreement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabouty View Post
In the tech forums stickies (I believe) is a link for all pt cruiser owners manuals. Follow the link, download your manual. It contains the instructions for how to prgram a new blank to work with your respective vehicle(s).

The cruiser keys have a chip in them that is activated when it is in direct metal to metal contact with the ignition module and only keys that have been programmer to that vehicle can be used. As for cut type Chrysler uses only a set number of cuts for the barrels (I forget the exact number) their fix to the random key working was to add the chip to the key itself. If you try to use a key that is unproframmed the engine may start but will run for only 2 seconds before setting off the security system.

Cuda - you should be able to buy a blank fob from a dealer and be able to program it to your car unless one of the following is true: a) your car does not have electronics locks or b) the previous owner already used the allotted four fob programming (a cruiser allows up to four fobs to be programmed to the car, after that you're f'd, so says my owner's manual for my '04).
Sounds like he is pretty knowledgeable and metal to metal contact required ..... I gotta try it.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Seems to be a little disagreement?Sounds like he is pretty knowledgeable and metal to metal contact required ..... I gotta try it.
Hmmmm... Should we listen to the Chrysler Trained technician (ME) or Jabouty. No offense intended. Chrysler keys have a chip in them but do not require metal to metal contact. I think he is referring to GM keys that have to have metal to metal contact. Chrysler SKIM keys work off of the same principle as SpeedPass and thinks like that. The SKIM module sends a signal to the key to excite the crystal inside the key to transmit.