Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I'm only getting 120Miles to a tank....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2009, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I'm only getting 120Miles to a tank....

Alright I'm 19 (going to be this month) and my PT is a 2005 Touring Convertible. I love this little thing I've had it for 2 yeas (my dad got it for me). I've never noticed until just recently (this year) that my PT is only giving me 120 miles to the TANK. I'm not making this up I was simply just going to college and coming back until recently (It was about 15 minutes away... maybe 14 miles a Day?) So I would not noticed my poor millage because gas would last me a really really long time (I only went to college four times a week) so a tank of gas would last me about a month.

But now my life changed a lot since my GF moved closer to me for college and I'm taking her up and down also so now I was noticing my millage sucked! Only 120 on a 15 gallon tank... that's worse then an effing hummer! I've never had any problems with the car other then regular matenince (and a one time where the window wouldn't do it's usual lower itself down when I opened the door) but this is just driving me insane my car is burning gas like a hummer!

These are the things I've done after searching not only these forums but many sites. I reset the car's memory/CPU by taking the battery off for an hour, then I changed my driving habits less quick accelerations and what not, I did this while I had 60 miles on the odormeter since I last filled it then It gave me another 90 so it went up to 150 so it's partly my driving. But still 120 with strict city driving is just too insane too crappy even with my driving... So what exactly could be wrong my PT only has 33k miles. I just changed my Oil today and oil filter so that might help, and my air filter is clean.

So what else my be causing this? Anythign else I should be aware of? I mean I really do love my car. What could I do to fix this situation I'm kind of running dry on cash and my care keeps guzzling it.

UPDATE:I managed to get my MPG to 16MPG. Which is what the PT Cruiser is rated for, keep in mind this is pure city driving. I tried some fuel injection cleaners (two of em) and they worked. I figured let me go with the cheap solution then go with the spark plugs. But Thanks for the recommendations if my millage sucks and the fuel injection doesn't work I'll give the spark plugs a shot. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by rubsnick; 01 Oct 2009 at 09:41 pm.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I'm only getting 120Miles to a tank....

Wow, thats pretty bad mpg. Are you running your A/C alot? Or do you have the top down most of the time? The A/C can be a mileage killer. Have you changed your spark plugs yet and how are your driving habits on the highway?

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 12 Sep 2009, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tend to keep in the 65HP range and NO I've never touched the spark plugs in my car. Keep in mind I got this car when it only had 10K miles... but yeah it's atroucious maybe it's purely me but I don't speed... oh and the AC is on alot but not in the morning just in the afternoons I live in Puerto Rico it's like 90 all year round and I do use the AC alot but it's usually on the first or second setting and it's it's at MAX it's just for a short time. I rarely use the top down (people I drive with are prissies like that they don't liek the sun in there eyes and crap) but for the most part it's AC all the way.

Quote:
Your engine should NOT labor or vibrate when you have the AC on.
I've just read this and my care does the exact thing it vibrates alot with the AC on... it's not that quite with the AC on... it dux this type of purring thing that doesn't sound like and engine.

Last edited by rubsnick; 12 Sep 2009 at 10:11 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

rubsnick, Welcome to the Forum sorry it had to be with a rant about mileage. If you do a search, you would find that it seems to be a PT problem. I check my mileage every time I fill my tank, using a pencil as well as Fuelly.com. You can see that my average mileage is over 22 MPG both highway & city mileage.

Now the first thing we suggest, and I did it when our car had less than 500 miles, is to change plugs & plug wires, for me it smoothed out the engine. For the instructions to change them, there is a sticky in the performance section. On your car, you do not have a modesty cover or a EGR pipe you have to fool with. Use dialectic grease on the boots and anti seize on the platinum plugs. Gap the plugs at .040. It is not a hard job and a good way to gain experience working on your car. Buy performance wires as the stock ones are crap and will break down and let the spark leak. Do this, track your mileage and let us know if that helped.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Sep 2009, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Alright I'll give that a shot... about how much will that run me? 100 bucks? or less?
Old 13 Sep 2009, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Check you codes via the keydance, maybe you have the thing stuck in closed loop because of the coolant temp sensor, lazy O2 etc

Next do a damn actual mileage check, fill it and take it for a nice 200 mile ride.
Then refill it and divide the miles driven by the actual gallons used.
Then report back what your highway gas mileage is.

also check the fill pressure on you tires.

You should see over 20 mpg highway eassy.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubsnick View Post
Alright I'll give that a shot... about how much will that run me? 100 bucks? or less?

Plugs $3 -5 each, plug wires will run $35 - 50, so for less than $75.00 you can get those, don't forget dialectic grease & anti seize as well.

Are you aware on doing the key trick? Turn the key to Acc. position, then rotate it forward and back 3 times without starting the car. You should see ----- or a number, if it is a number you can put a P in front of it on Google and it will tell you what the code is

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Sep 2009, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Check you codes via the keydance, maybe you have the thing stuck in closed loop because of the coolant temp sensor, lazy O2 etc

Next do a damn actual mileage check, fill it and take it for a nice 200 mile ride.
Then refill it and divide the miles driven by the actual gallons used.
Then report back what your highway gas mileage is.

also check the fill pressure on you tires.

You should see over 20 mpg highway eassy.
What the hell is a Keydance?

I don't have the time or mony to do an actual millage check but I know that 120 for a entire tank from full to empty with the little gas warning light. As it stands I'm only getting 8MPG On City and Highway (portion of my driving is highway) I fail to see how wasting a entire tank of gas and possible 2 hours of driving is going to help me at all. And yes my Tire pressure is exactly where it needs to be. 35 PSI.

I think I'm going to do a fuel injection cleaner and then if that don't work on my next tank just change the spark plugs if worse comes to worse I"ll sell the damn car.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Plugs $3 -5 each, plug wires will run $35 - 50, so for less than $75.00 you can get those, don't forget dialectic grease & anti seize as well.

Are you aware on doing the key trick? Turn the key to Acc. position, then rotate it forward and back 3 times without starting the car. You should see ----- or a number, if it is a number you can put a P in front of it on Google and it will tell you what the code is

Great.... I tried the key trick....now my CAR WON"T START... and I really need it for tomorrow.... *facepalm* I give up I'm just going to replace everythign
Old 13 Sep 2009, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you get any codes??