Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ever wash your car in the rain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2009, 10:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Ever wash your car in the rain?

OK, I know I'm a "new" owner and a little obsessive but I just washed my PT in the rain. I pulled it in the carport and after I have some lunch, I'm going to wax it.

Hey I have the day off and I need to put on a coat of wax. If not for the PT then for me.

So have you washed your car in the rain? And getting ready for a show doesn't count.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 17 Sep 2009, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ever wash your car in the rain?

When I'm caught in the rain (I try not to) and it gets dirty, I'll hose it off and maybe wipe it down before putting it in the garage and finishing the job. I don't put it away for the night wet or dirty. I have enough wax on both cars that I can wait for a nice day to clay bar or wax them again.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

the only time I ''washed'' my pt in the rain is the day after I ran over a skunk, I just gave it a ride on the highway in the heavy rain to well rince the car to remove any potential skunk juice.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 06:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

All washed and waxed and ready for a nice day. Which won't come until maybe Saturday.

I guess I did a good job on the wax. I dropped a polishing cloth on the fender and it slid off.

There's just something sensual about rubbing out that beautiful paint by hand. IMHO.

I'll go now.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 17 Sep 2009, 06:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

ive only washed car in rain once as i got caught out in a quick down pour half way truogh
i felt daft and went in as if my neighbuors would have seen me thay would have decided i had lost my mind lol
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I love washing mine in the rain! My water is so high in alkaline that it's nearly impossible to keep downt he water spots. They're okay on the body, cause I can claybar them away, but even the claybar can't get them off the glass. So I found that washing in the rain and alliowing the rain to be the final rinse solved that problem. Now it just doesnt' rain enough...lol
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Ever wash your car in the rain?

Hey Guys,

I remember back when I had my Detail Shop, I used to have to do a lot of work with large Dealerships and one of my jobs was to helt properly train some of their in house Lot Porters (the guys that take your new car around back when your in finance and clean it up, take off the stickers, etc).

Anyways, the process was to start with removing the MSRP, Stock Numbers, Lock Box, and/or anything else associated with the Dealer. Next pop the hood and rinse the engine compartment, then rinse, soap down and complete hand wash, blow out mirrors, door jambs, and trunk using compressed air, and dry the exterior, dry everything, dress the engine, tires, clean windows in and out, vac out the carpet, including trunk, quick wipe down with interior dressing, air freshener, pop in some paper floor mats, final inspection, and park in the outbound area in front of the showroom. The entire process after my training took one hour start to finish so that the car was done by the time you were out of finance and ready to take delivery of your new ride.

The thing is people buy cars no matter rain nor shine and the is still necessary and is done every time a new car is sold no matter rain, or shine, or at least was so at all of the Dealerships I had trained and serviced once upon a time in the Northern part of San Diego, CA.

So, to answer your question, technically I never washed a car directly in the rain, but have washed a bunch of them in a shop, and then pulled them right out into the pouring rain.

Go easy.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I love washing mine in the rain! My water is so high in alkaline that it's nearly impossible to keep downt he water spots. They're okay on the body, cause I can claybar them away, but even the claybar can't get them off the glass. So I found that washing in the rain and alliowing the rain to be the final rinse solved that problem. Now it just doesnt' rain enough...lol

I'm doing the exact same thing. I thought I was crazy or something...

I found that a car rinsed by the rain tends to have less noticeable water spot. Unless you live in an heavy industrial area where you can meet "acid rain", rain is purer than aqueduct water.

I love when it rains just after I finished to wash my car so I can let it dry by itself.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, I've even waxed in a lite rain shower. Even claybarred one day in a very light shower, that was totally cool and worked great. Car stayed wet the whole time and I got done in about half the normal time. I do the spray on show wax once in a while when it's raining, after I've washed it. Soak the piss out of it with the wax, rub it in with a handful of papertowels, let the rain rinse off the excess. Course, I only do this when I can stand the rain, not today with this friggin cold I've got.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My wife was looking crazy at me the other day cause it was cloudly looked like rain and I'm out washing my car. Of course it started to rain as I'm drying off the PT. She said that I've wash the PT more in two months than I washed my Explorer in the two years that I had owned it.Must like the PT better, go figure.