Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I need reassurance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2009, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default I need reassurance.

I am going to be putting money down on my first PT Cruiser tomorrow. It is a 2002 Dream one. I did a carfax and it shows only 1 owner other than the dealer that had it new and the dealer that has it now. I test drove it and it's beautiful. My husband drove it and agrees. I also got the codes reading on it and I am still trying to decipher what they mean. It has right at 100K miles on it. I have done my best to research the reliability of the PT and I am finding that after 60K miles it is like a ticking time bomb. But here is my theory... that only the people that have major issues take the time to post something negative about the car. I really love this car. It was so well taken care of, it looks brand new, not a scratch or anything.

So i am asking for all you PT lovers out there to let me know if you have had your PT after 100K miles and it is still running great and if you feel like you made a good choice.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 12:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I need reassurance.

If it makes you feel any better I see a ton of them for sale with 150000-200000km on them.

My uncle has been driving his since they came out...he has the original limited edition and still drives and loves it.

We just purchased an 06 with 63000km on it and are so excited!!
Old 18 Sep 2009, 01:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, that does make me feel better! I would like to think that if I take really good care of my PT and follow the advice of my new friends (wink, wink) that I will have many enjoyable years to come with my car. I have shown the pics I took with my phone to all my friends and co-workers and they all say "that is SO you!". This will be the first car since I married my husband that it will be mine, just for me, I wont have to share, mine all mine, did I mention mine? lol.

Please, keep the happily ever after stories coming!
Old 18 Sep 2009, 01:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Also, do I need to be really mechanically inclined to own a PT because I'm not and neither is my hubby.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 01:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: I need reassurance.

Hey their shmexymedic,

Welcome to the Forum. I have several PT Friends who have well over 100,000 miles without much of any problems. In fact I have one friend who has over 230,000 and counting.

The biggest thing I would recommend having checked would be to make sure the Timing Belt and Water Pump have been changed which should be due somewhere between 80,000 - 100,000 miles. If your Timing Belt, and water belt have not been changed, and it breaks in the near future, the cost of the repair may be in the ballpark of $900 - $1200 to replace including parts and labor if you took it to your mechanic. I don't want to scare you, but rather just something to make sure you check out ahead of time to be on the safe side.

The only two other things you may wish to do with a higher mileage PT might be to go ahead and have the transmission flushed and serviced, and if it idles a little rough, you may want to go ahead and upgrade your spark plugs, and wires.

Other than those specific items, you should be good to go. As far as buying a PT is concerned, for me, this has been the best, and funnest vehicle I have ever owned hands down!Not only is just having a PT a blast, but if you choose to get involved with a PT Club you will truly have more fun than you can imagine! Their are Clubs all over, including several in Oklahoma that go on PT Runs where the Club may go Cruising out somewhere for an afternoon, participate in local Car Shows, and Parades, as well as their are a few large Local, and Regional all PT Events that happen Annually that can draw upwards of 300 plus PT Cruisers from all over the Country! One of the cool things about being a part of the PT Community, though the Dream Cruiser Series 1 is already a pretty cool Cruiser in its own right, it doesn't matter weather your PT is stock, or an all tricked out show car, no matter what, you are a welcome part of the group, and PT People are some of the friendliest, funnest bunch of people I have ever met! The only thing I have to warn you about is once you get into the PT Lifestyle, it is extremely addicting! First its just a car, then next thing you know your buying this, or that, little chrome pieces, maybe a theme, or collection of anything to create a nice Tailgate Display to show off at Shows, its amazing how creative people get with their PT's! Just to give you a little taste of what I mean, take a look at my PT Photo Archive at the bottom of my post under my signature. Just click on the Blue Link to my Photobucket Account and choose a category from the menu on the left side, and enjoy pages, and pages on a whole list of PT Cruiser Creativity at its best!

Please let us know how you make out, and if you decide to make a good home to a PT!

Go easy, and I wish you all the best!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 18 Sep 2009, 01:55 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey shmexymedic,

Naw, most everything is pretty easy, and most other little things other than the Timing Belt Issue is pretty simple and well documented here step by step, so if you ever had any kind of problem, or question, either me, or one of the other regular guys is always more than happy to help anytime!

Go easy,

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Old 18 Sep 2009, 02:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Candyman! I have been perusing the forums and looking at pictures and trust me, my lil wheels are already turning in my mind!

As far as it's current idle, I think it's nice and consistent, no sputters, no shaking, not even any changes in pitch. However, I did see a code 0303 and from what I have learned that is a misfire. I also got a few more codes, I tried to jot them down as they were blinking along, so I hope I wrote them down correctly... 1488 (?), 1684 (?), 1388, and 1489. Also, when should I get those codes cleared or should I? How do I know they are not old? Also, the check engine light is not on but I read somewhere that the light will go off after a certain time or something.

I am getting a warranty with my purchase for 5500 miles or 5 months with only a $50 deductible. The dealer told me to have it checked out, anything comes up and I can get it all taken care of for $50 so I will definately have the suggested items above checked out and that maintenance done. I will check my carfax to see if those items appear to be done, if not, I will have them done right away.

Already loving it here! Anyone else have great success??
Old 18 Sep 2009, 02:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: I need reassurance.

Hey their shmexymedic,

Hahaha, ya, these cars are a lot of fun for sure!

As for your codes, if its been sitting on the lot for a while, chances are the battery has gone down, or possibly died at some point. If the voltage is a down on the battery, or if its been replaced, it can trigger a few little ghosts in the electrical system which could give a few false/positive codes to come up, or any one of a variety of little glitches till the system is reset. All you need to do to reset it is simply pull the positive battery cable off, let it sit off for five minutes, and then put it back on. That should clear any false codes out, and/or correct any other electrical glitches. If the codes come back up, then you should get them checked, and possibly have the computer flashed which is basically an update done by the Dealer. Past that you should be good to go!

GO easy, and if you ever need anything, or have a question I am around here most every day, and always more than happy to help.

Go easy.

Candyman

Old 18 Sep 2009, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey I just got my silver 2001 limited eddition PT in July with 41,000 miles and so far so good. I love this car it is fun and easy to drive. It is also is nice and roomy without being too big. The PT is a great car do not listen to haters because there are plenty of them.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 10:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I am finding that after 60K miles it is like a ticking time bomb.
Nah, a lot of that is owners not maintaining the vehicle, then shocked at a multi-thousand dollar repair job. It happens with any car.

80-90k is a timing belt period.

plugs and wires are every 30k or so provided you use very good quality cables and plugs.

Keep up on the oil and use synthetic.

flush and fill the trans every 30-60k, maybe alternate dump and fill and flushes every 30k.

The trans IS weak, not much to be done about it, but it is easy to replace.