Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2009, 06:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Engine Question.

I was wondering what these connections in my engine are called just to know.

oh and whats the point in #1 and #2?

Driver:Alex
Car:Petey
2006 Inferno Red PT Cruiser Touring Signature Series, 38K, 15mpg, Automatic.

Exterior:American Racing Estrella 16s, Toyo Proxes TPT, ROL Xtreme Exaust Tip.
Interior:Bumblebee BobbleHead, 2 6x9s, pioneer ts-g1640r's in doors, Parking Permit for my schoool.
Performance:Custom Air Intake, NGK Platinum plugs, Ceramic Brake Pads, Duralast 7.5mm coil wires, Duralast Performance rotors.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Question.

1 is your make-up air hose, really there to vent some crank case gases back into the system, but on many cars, especially non-turbos, it doesn't do a whole lot. It's function really varies on driving styles. On the turbo engines, there is a make-up-air filter assembly, really a small sponge pad, to try and trap the oil that comes off the top of the crank case. Again, the quantity of oil vented depends entirely on driving styles. Me, I clean out probably a tablespoon a month out of my air cleaner, cause I drive it like I stole it...

2 is your PCV - Positive Crankcase Vent. Similar in function, but is supposed to allow air out only, none in. Engines used to run without PCV valves in the past - my 1966 Marlin with a nice 327 V8 didn't have one. Those engines used a small external filter on a crank case vent but you still spilled oil out on the road. Used to suck running the track behind one of these old cars spewing oil out, way back in the dark ages.... your Owners Manual has a maintenance interval chart, I think it tells you how often to change the PCV valve, they are quite inexpensive, and if you run cheap oil, prone to clogging.

Okay to answer that last question, which I just noticed - without 1 not a lot - it's sort of a balance to allow the engine to "breathe" more freely. Possible that, if driving hard, you could exhaust some oil up out of your filler cap, but you likely wouldn't see much on a non-turbo. On a turbo, you'd shoot out oil somewhere! lol... Usually that comes back out the oil filler, not good to wet down your engine that way. Without number 2, the PCV, oh lots of things! Blown valve cover gasket, definitely would pipe pressure into the system and would likely be popping your oil dipstick off it's base and pumping oil back up and out, onto your engine. Without allowing your engine to properly breathe, you end up baking it, forcing it to swallow pressures that need to be vented in some manner. The problem in the old days was blowing out the gasket around your oil pan, right on the track when you launched! That or the valve cover gaskets and dumping oil onto your headers, creating one hell of a bonfire! On these smaller engines, consider this - when you really need to fart, but can't and have to hold it in, how's it feel after a bit of holding it in? Uncomfortable, and you have a chance of sharting instead of farting if you hold it in too long. Same sort of situation with these two vents. PCV - air out. Make-up - oil out. No fart - no worky for long...

Last edited by Chromenut; 18 Sep 2009 at 07:13 pm.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now lets get busy and clean up that engine bay please!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To add to this, you don't have to have 1 going to your air intake. You can vent that totally separate from the system and cap off the connection you have listed as 3. I'm actually considering doing this simply because of the amount of oil I vent.

In that case, you can take your hose to a crankcase vent filter, here's some examples (and sometimes these look very nice on your car!):

I spoke a long time ago to a gent that did a great write up on this, and his explanation really helped me understand it better, and he's the reason why I'm taking my make-up air to it's own filter assembly, see his posting here:

Crankcase Filter Modification

And I love this install on a Lotus S2, nice and clean, no extra hoses, etc. I want to cap off the make-up connection on my air box and run to a nice, simple CCV of my own, simply looking for a "pretty" filter assembly to use.

Old 19 Sep 2009, 01:24 am
Regular Cruiser

wow. I love your shart comparison! that made me crack up. wait, So adding the crank case breather filter = a tiny gain in horse power? awesome. I'll do that.
any horsepower is good horsepower.
Oh and Crewzin, how would you recommend cleaning the engine? just take a hose to it? or were you talking about my silly blue wire covers everywhere?

Interior:Bumblebee BobbleHead, 2 6x9s, pioneer ts-g1640r's in doors, Parking Permit for my schoool.
Performance:Custom Air Intake, NGK Platinum plugs, Ceramic Brake Pads, Duralast 7.5mm coil wires, Duralast Performance rotors.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Alex,

As far as answering my part of your question, here's plenty to read:

engine washing

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Straight simple green and low pressure water hose. No pressure! Simply wash it off. If you don't have a compressor to blow areas dry, buy a couple cans of compressed air at your local Sam's club, BJ's, or whatever club you got, and use that to blow areas around the plugs clear, along with all electrical connections. Before you start it, make sure everything is dry! And before you start, it's okay for it to be warm to the touch, but if it's the slightest hot, don't hit it with cold water!

simple green for simpletons like me, works fine, lasts long time....

Here's my car from last weekend's AutoFair at Lowe's Motor Speedway - simple green keeps it clean!!!

That's my daily driver with +34k miles on it. Keep it clean, keeps it clean!

Last edited by Chromenut; 19 Sep 2009 at 08:39 pm.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 11:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

That sure is a beaut. Did you paint your intake manifold gray or did it come like that? the blue pin-striping on it is awesome. Oh and why is your intake the way it is? that looks different for some reason. besides the fact its a turbo.

Old 20 Sep 2009, 01:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I spent hours painting the air box, the throttle cable cover and the intake manifold. 8 layers of Cast Aluminum engine block paint, followed by the blue, then 8 layers of clear coat. The intake mani came out the best, but it was the last painted and I was learning as I went along. Thanks for the compliments, took a lot of work to clean it up, tape it off, prep it and paint it. Good thing the mani comes out easy. As to the Manifold itself, I took the vanity cover off, it' just holds in heat, and turbos hate heat.

Next, all the maintenance points get painted. All those ugly yellow items, they'll be silver with blue lettering. Haven't yet decided what to do with the oil filler cap, maybe the same... then I need to get hydralics to hold up that hood and get rid of the yellow bar....

Last edited by Chromenut; 20 Sep 2009 at 01:48 am.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 05:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm jealous. lol. I want to paint my intake manifold blue like my intake but my stepdad wont let me. =[