PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ECU Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2009, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ECU Replacement

Hi there,
According to the dealer I need to replace the computer or ECU from my 2006 PT cruiser. He charges me $600-$700.00 for a new ecu.
I ask him if I can get an used ecu instead, and his answer was that no way he can erase and re-program an used ecu with my pt info.

Does it true, or he just try to sell me an expensive ecu?

This is the info. from my ecu:

DAIMLERCHRYSLER P/N P05034440AE
Module P/N 05033426AG
VIN # 363186

If I can get an used ecu, does it has to have exactly the same P/N's?
How can I know if certain P/N's will work on my pt?

I appreciate any input on this matter.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ECU Replacement

There's plenty of ECU's available but the dealer would have to reprogram it. I don't think there's a dealer around that would put a used part in place in your car. At least they won't go out and find you one. You can bring in your own parts to most dealers to have them installed and reprogrammed but they sure won't back any of it up except the installation part of it. If it fails the next day, your on your own. Here's one place that sells ECU's.

:: Chrysler Engine Control Units, Chevy ECUs, Chevy ECMs, Rebuilt Chevy ECMs,ECUs, Chrysler DSM EPROMs,Remanufactured Chrysler ECMs,ECUs ::

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would call several other dealers and ask the service managers.
I don't know.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Sep 2009, 07:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You can not reprogram PCM's. At least not at the dealer level. They send back the old PCM to a rebuilder who wipes the PCM and fixes it. What you get from a dealer is a remanufactured unit. Buy it from the dealer!!! I have seen several Chrysler Reman units fail any where from next day till a year later. When you get it from a dealer if goes bad with in 12months or 12k miles it's replaced for FREE! Used PCM... Your SOL.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everybody for replying.
Let's supposed I decide to buy a used ecu that has exactly the same part number as mine. Do I still need to go to the dealer and let them reprogram it, or the ecu will work fine?
Old 26 Sep 2009, 12:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvo2003 View Post
Thanks everybody for replying.
Let's supposed I decide to buy a used ecu that has exactly the same part number as mine. Do I still need to go to the dealer and let them reprogram it, or the ecu will work fine?
Most likely not. Especially if you have skim key.(The big grey ended key) If you have SKIM it will not work.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 08:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You need to have the VIN and mileage flashed into the used pcm. A smart dealer can do it. The used pcm has to be like the original as far as correct transmission (stick or auto) and I'm pretty sure ABS or not and cruise if you have it. Sounds like you have a dumb dealer as people have bought used stage pcms for the PT turbo/SRT-4 and having them flashed by either the dealer or a company called Flight Systems.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Sep 2009, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The one in my 01 went bad and they replaced it for free under the 8 year 80000 mile emissions warrantee.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to close this thread,
I decided to get the computer from the dealer and forget about finding somebody else to program it.

Thanks every body for their input.
nvo2003
Old 17 May 2011, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i had the same issue with my computer. there is a place that you purchase/trade for half or more the price you are getting quoted.you send you old ecu then they send you a programmed ecu base on the car info you give them. i.e. vin#. i lost the website but you can google it.hope this helps