Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Low/No Coolant and Overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2009, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Low/No Coolant and Overheating

Hello - I'm trying to help a relative who is stuck at my place with an 06 PT Cruiser with 30K miles that seems to be out of coolant. The temp light went on yesterday so I started looking at it. There's no coolant in the overflow. However, (keep in mind I have GM cars and am not very familiar with Chrysler) when I took off the radiator cap to check the coolant in the radiator all I see (I think) is the thermostat. I can't see into the radiator. How do I know if the coolant in the radiator is low to know if I should add some there as well as the overflow?

I'm trying to help her get home so she can take the car to her repair shop.

Thanks for any guidance that can be provided.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Low/No Coolant and Overheating

If you can see the thermostat and see that the overflow tank is dry, YES the car is low (probably way low) in coolant.

The coolant should be at the very top of the radiator almost overflowing when you take the cap off. It should be at the cold level on the overflow tank.

The Chrysler takes a special brand of coolant so look for HOAT on the replacement container. When you fill it up your going to have air in the system and down by the thermostat (under the cap) there's a bleed valve to get the excess air out.

The first thing to do is find out where the water is going. A head gasket leak, pin hold in the radiator hose, leaking at the cap or thermostat housing are some of the places for a leak. Most decent service stations will do a pressure check to help find the leak.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 12:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhoff350 View Post

How do I know if the coolant in the radiator is low to know if I should add some there as well as the overflow?

I'm trying to help her get home so she can take the car to her repair shop.

Thanks for any guidance that can be provided.

You won't get far in a PT - not even to a repair shop - unless you burp the radiator and get it full - here's how to - Yea I had to answer my own question too - peeps are soooo helpful here.....

Coolant Drain & Fill Help

Last edited by lmmegt; 27 Sep 2009 at 03:52 pm.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmegt View Post
Yea I had to answer my own question too - peeps are soooo helpful here.....
There's a lot of other PT forums on the web if your so disillusioned by this one.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 03:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
There's a lot of other PT forums on the web if your so disillusioned by this one.

Feel free to post a link or two to another site - maybe you can be rid of me, grumpy one...... Maybe I can get an answer to my question elsewhere from this thread.......

Quote:
Only question I have - Is the engine off or running when fluid is being added and air bleeding thru the attached hose?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go, have at it. All you have to do is search.

PT Enthusiasts - PT Cruiser Forum

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

PTLovers.com

PTCruizer.com - a Chrysler PT Cruiser enthusiast web site

Chrysler, PT Cruiser automobile forum index

Chrysler PT Cruiser Forum - A community to discuss news, find answers, share mods. Model years 2001 - 2009 - CarGurus

Auto Blogs | Car Forums - Chrysler PT Cruiser Forum

Old 27 Sep 2009, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for the help and input. I filled the radiator until I heard no more gurgling, then filled the overflow. We ran the car for around 30 mins in my driveway afterwards to see if any further overheating was going to occur and it did not. I can confirm now that she made the 2 hour drive home without further incident. Now she just has to take it to get it looked at to find the leak.

Thanks again for the input...it helped me out quite a bit!

JH
Old 27 Sep 2009, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for getting back to us. Good luck.

Old 27 Sep 2009, 09:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmegt View Post
Feel free to post a link or two to another site - maybe you can be rid of me, grumpy one...... Maybe I can get an answer to my question elsewhere from this thread.......

If you don't like the service here You can always go to the DEALER and pay them for a Quick answer,it may not be a correct answer...

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhoff350 View Post
Thank you all for the help and input. I filled the radiator until I heard no more gurgling, then filled the overflow. We ran the car for around 30 mins in my driveway afterwards to see if any further overheating was going to occur and it did not. I can confirm now that she made the 2 hour drive home without further incident. Now she just has to take it to get it looked at to find the leak.

Thanks again for the input...it helped me out quite a bit!

JH

You did not use the bleeder even though I posted how to at your request?

Guess I should not worry about receiving help, since when I give it, nobody listens.

With our '05 GT we had to bleed the air out to complete the job, made over 1/2 gallon difference in the amount of coolant it would take.