PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do it urself tranny flush / filter change ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2009, 02:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06
Default Do it urself tranny flush / filter change ?

I asked this on another forum, but thought id ask here too. Has anyone changed their own transmission fluid ? You know, a full flush ? Like change the pan filter / gasket, and flush the fluid out ?

I was gonna take the sending line off, and turn the car on and let it pump out into a bucket, until it stopped, then take the pan down, replace the filter and gasket, then put new stuff in.

I plan on using Supertech ATF + 4 which says its for chrysler transmissions, much cheaper than Mopar, but has been around forever.

Any suggestions / recommendations ?

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Old 27 Sep 2009, 03:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Do it urself tranny flush / filter change ?

MOPAR ATF +4 Drain & Fill How Many Quarts?

Transmission Pan with Drain Bolt - They Exist !

Old 27 Sep 2009, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know if letting the tranny run dry is a good idea...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Sep 2009, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

First I would pay a little extra and use the Mopar fluid or Amsoil ATF if you want something better.

2nd drop the pan and clean the magnet and change the filter, use a Mopar filter. Then refill with 4 qts. Also can add a B&M bulkhead fitting so next time you can drain it easier.

Per the flush part. You can remove the return line from the cooler circuit and put in a pan. Have someone start the car and run it about 45 seconds and shut it off, measure how much came out. then add that back in. Repeat the process a few times until you have it flushed. I dont know how many qts the autos in a PT require since I have a 5 spd but I flush my 46RE in my durango and the 545 RFE in my Jeep this way. You dont want to pump out all the fluid at one shot. also be careful not to over fill and you want to check the fluid level after you have driven it and got it up to temp.

Per the Supertech, why put least common denominator fluid in a tran which will cost you 2K$ to replace??