Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shop Time & Job SOP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2009, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help: Shop Time & Job SOP

02' Cruiser 2.4 Timing Belt/head gasket SOP. Am taking last "pretigous shop" to small claims as I think they really screwed me on everything they did(half assed). I think the timing may even be off a notch in the top end. Anyone have ideas on where I could get in writing what a standard procedure would be for timing belt/head gasket. I have a Chiltons. The shop did as little as possible and charged dealer prices for everything and then tried to sell, sell, sell, on parts and work that wasn't needed. I'm wondering if it even needed head gasket?? It looked to me like the valve cover was leaking a little oil, they replaced head gasket. Took out loan to fix car, am tapped. Any ideas?? I was thinking maybe get a dealer to make up an estimate site unseen?? Chrysler Shop time & SOP? Need ammo for small claims, they immediately lawyered up. Thanks
Po Pitiful me
zmaster

Last edited by zmaster; 30 Sep 2009 at 07:49 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Shop Time & Job SOP

If you have a Chiltons manual then you have all the info you need to do a timing belt. Typically they get a lot of their info straight from the OEM. The head gaskets are a somewhat common issue. They tend to leak oil from the right rear (as you look at the engine from the back side of the crank). With out seeing it's hard to know. As for the timing being off, it's not hard to do even at the dealership. I miss it probably 30% of the time but ALWAYS check it before I finish. BUT they should have checked it before they shipped it. I have posted several times about the tricks to doing it easy.
Sorry to hear you got a raw deal.... I hear it more often than I would like. Atleast once a month I get a car that the cust. took to another shop and had to take it back several times and still didn't get it fixed right. Being a dealership level technician I will ALWAYS recommend taking it to a dealership to get work. Yes you may pay more, BUT you get a OEM trained technician who has had training and experience with your vehicle. Yes, they will try to sell you maintenance. So will any good after market shop. Do a little research and you will find that dealerships offer oil changes at MUCH lower prices than quick service places. Plus if you do your maintenance there you have a record there and having that relationship with your dealership can pay off in the future. Perfect example: I had a customer not too long ago that brought her van in complaining about a tire plug sticking out of the outside edge of the tread. She did all her maintenance at the dealership, all oil changes and all the major 30k services and brakes. I know for a FACT that we didn't plug the tire because it was a style that I had never seen and NOBODY in the shop had them. She said we did it. I talked to the service manager about it and he said "I would gladly give the lady a tire because of the relationship she had here." I know dealerships get a bad rap sometimes but find a good one and you are miles ahead.
Ok I'm done rambling now and I will get off my soap box.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for info, they charged as much as the dealer and upon returning for the 4th time for related problems (ac system lost charge, engine light, egr failed, engine went through 1 quart of oil on 2000 mile trip, coolant level down,etc) they told me they wouldn't look at it again and to contact their attorney, nice. So here I am. I think I will take in to dealer for oil change, maybe they will diagnose. Thanks for your time and rambling, very educational. Love this car, my kids call it Bob. Thanks again
zmaster
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Happy to help. In theory 1 qt oil every 1000 miles is an acceptable oil loss. In reality not so. Especially if it didn't start till after the head gasket. Just to be on the safe side you might wan to check the oil and coolant. Make sure that they don't have a chocolate milk shake appearance. If so... not good. You could be headed towards severe engine damage. Good luck with your case and if you need any help I'll be happy to do what i can.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes sir, thats where I looked, at the oil and coolant. Oil looks good, looks like they added clear coolant to reddish stock coolant, can still see red around cap, etc, coolant looks clear but has coolant taste to it, joy, hopefully no head leaks in new gasket, at least between oil/coolant. Hey, while I'm here, plug & gap recommendation on 2.4, 130k, ?? Thanks again have a great evening.
zmaster

Last edited by zmaster; 30 Sep 2009 at 09:28 pm.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 08:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Champion plugs set at 0.40 inch. Not sure on the part number but there is a sticky in the performance forum.