Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Nightmare continues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2009, 11:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Default The Nightmare continues

I know its getting closer to Halloween but I'm getting SCARED already....I noticed some drops of coolant......now my radiator needs to be replaced.........They should of called it the Chrysler MP.....Money Pit
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 01 Oct 2009, 11:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: The Nightmare continues

And to think I haven't spent $0.01 on mods for my PT, and she's been so reliable.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 01:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

I just had my round with the Goodyear tires that came on mine. I had to replace the two front tires because the tread was about to come off. I felt a thump ever since I had it and lately it was pulling to the left. I was going to swap the front wheel with the back one and when I got it off I saw the problem. Needless to say it doesn't have Goodyears on the front now. No wonder people get Yokohama's and Khumo's and that kind of stuff. In the past month I've replaced 3 Goodyears on my travel trailer and need to replace the other 3 and now this.

I did get a key made for $40 though and that's a lot better than the $200 the dealer wanted. Whoo, friggin', Hooo...
Old 01 Oct 2009, 01:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstith View Post
I just had my round with the Goodyear tires that came on mine. I had to replace the two front tires because the tread was about to come off.
Mine had Toyo Spectrum's on it, never heard of the brand but the tire has been great like the rest of the car.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 02:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis2k7 View Post
Mine had Toyo Spectrum's on it, never heard of the brand but the tire has been great like the rest of the car.
I've done some research and found Toyo's have some of the best All-Season tires! Lucky you
Old 01 Oct 2009, 03:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Got rid for the slippery Good-for-a-year $200-a-tire tires before they were even worn out - and got Les Schwab TourEvo - Been a very good tire.

Tourevo LS Premium Touring Radial | Exclusively From Les Schwab Tire Centers

I rock Toyo Open Country H/T's on my truck - very high wear rating of 640 for a truck tire. BridgeStone Blizzacks in the winter.

Old 01 Oct 2009, 03:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
I've done some research and found Toyo's have some of the best All-Season tires! Lucky you
They've been great.... they were virtually new when I bought the car based on the tread depth and I see no noticeable signs of wear nearly 10k miles later.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 09:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

So as you know.....1st overheating....timing belt and waterpumpdone....than powersteering pump replaced...than AC reattached as left unplugged by mechanic...now leaking coolant again and mechanic says it needs a new radiator, about 500$ repair with rad and labour....pisses me off because the rad should have been noticed when they had it apart the last few times....now I have to pay labour AGAIN....Advice? 270$ rad and over 200$ labour....they had the grill...rad...rad support apart to do the waterpump etc....I also notice my fan is running very loud.....is this because the fan is overworking to compensate for the leaking coolant from the rad???....I'm ticked off because I've been to their shop5 times now and have to go again on Tuesday....I luv the car but now am wondering if I should sell it and buy something used/ but newer???? My wife nixed the idea of a C6 CorvetteI tried to explain my car is getting older and has been costing ++$$$...but I was turned down Again......No use buying something used...I;ll probably just get stuck fixing someone elses junk
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 02 Oct 2009, 02:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyk View Post
I;ll probably just get stuck fixing someone elses junk
I'll never buy a new car again if I can help it.. have done it once, in '97, and would prefer not to take a loss like that again.

This car I got for about 55% of the sticker price at 3 years old with 45k miles. Have put about $400 into it for preventative maintenance and she's given me a solid 10k miles. Other than that, nothing but gasoline.

If it stays like this for another 30-40k until I have to do the timing belt I'd be just fine with it.

Edit:

Ironic, just read this over at MSN.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...our-money.aspx

Look at #1 on the list. That is exactly how it worked for me, specifically Cars lose most of their value in the first few years, meaning thousands of dollars down the drain. However, recent used models -- those that are less than five years old -- can be a real value because you get a car that's still in fine working order for far less than the new-car price.

Last edited by Travis2k7; 02 Oct 2009 at 02:15 am.
Old 03 Oct 2009, 09:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstith View Post
I just had my round with the Goodyear tires that came on mine. I had to replace the two front tires because the tread was about to come off. I felt a thump ever since I had it and lately it was pulling to the left. I was going to swap the front wheel with the back one and when I got it off I saw the problem. Needless to say it doesn't have Goodyears on the front now. No wonder people get Yokohama's and Khumo's and that kind of stuff. In the past month I've replaced 3 Goodyears on my travel trailer and need to replace the other 3 and now this.

I did get a key made for $40 though and that's a lot better than the $200 the dealer wanted. Whoo, friggin', Hooo...
The BEST experience I ever had with Goodyear tires was merely disappointing. (Firestone was waaaay worse.) My 04 came with Goodyear Weatherhandlers, which had been put on by the PO at Sears. They are surprisingly nice. Time will tell when or if they fly apart.